International Women’s Day to be discussed

Jean Wiedenheft

This week’s Tuesday Topic at the Margaret Sloss House Women’s Center will focus on issues facing international students at Iowa State.

The discussion, which starts at noon, will be led by Sangeeta Parashar, graduate student in sociology.

Parashar will discuss how international students become assimilated into American culture, said Jasmine Sampoornam, senior in accounting.

As the Women’s Center cultural core intern, Sampoornam is in charge of publicizing activities for international students. She said the “aftermath of culture shock” can make it difficult for students from outside the United States to maintain their national identity.

Tuesday’s discussion is being hosted by the Women’s Center in celebration of International Women’s Day, which was Sunday.

“I thought I would focus on what would be useful to the students,” Sampoornam said of her choice for the topic.

Rather than have the program conflict with activities already planned for International Women’s Day, Sampoornam said she decided to schedule it for Tuesday at noon, when the Women’s Center normally has a discussion.

“It’s not just for international students,” Sampoornam said, adding that anyone interested is encouraged to attend.

Nor is the discussion geared only toward women.

“Men are welcome,” she said. “The information will help them, too.”

The discussion will take place in Sloss House, just south of Curtiss Hall, and should last about an hour.