VeisheaPallooza this Friday will encourage non-alcoholic parties

Abby Snyder

In an attempt to increase alcohol education and provide new ideas for non-alcoholic events, the Veishea committee is hosting a VeisheaPallooza Friday at the Lied Recreation Center.

Brad James, co-chairman for the risk management committee and junior in animal science, said the Veishea committee is offering up to 15 grants worth $200 to student organizations and residence hall floors to host their own alcohol-free event during this year’s Veishea.

This year’s Veishea celebration will be April 17-19.

Marie Farrell, member of the risk management committee and sophomore in psychology, said more than 1,000 invitations were sent to representatives of student organizations and residence hall floors to attend the pallooza. The Veishea committee is expecting 400 students to attend.

Through the pallooza, students will learn how to host an alcohol-free party.

Attendants also will receive a party pack that contains information about alcohol awareness and about how to apply for and redeem the grants, Farrell said.

Applications for the grants ask for the party’s theme, time, location and expected crowd.

The applications are available in the Veishea office, located in the West Student Office Space of the Memorial Union.

The Veishea committee will then review the applications and distribute grants on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The committee is hoping to achieve three goals, including an increase in both alcohol education and the number of alcohol-free events.

The committee also aims to provide security measures for the parties.

In addition, 20 students will make up a party response team that will attend the parties to make sure no alcohol is present.

If alcohol is found, the grant will not be given, Farrell said.

In the past, a “mocktail” party, which garnered poor attendance, was hosted by the Homecoming Committee, Freshman Council and SADD.

Farrell said she hopes the alcohol-free parties will be a success.

“The parties will be targeted at audiences that have grown close through their clubs and organizations. It will be natural for them to get together to party,” she said. “The Veishea committee is simply supplying the funds to make it possible for these groups to party together during Veishea.”

The pallooza also will feature free pop and treats, tournaments, entertainment, black jack and karaoke, Farrell said.

Farrell added that the risk management committee, the party grants and the VeisheaPallooza all are new additions to the Veishea festivities this year.

She encouraged students to take advantage of all the new opportunities.