Multicultural center remains hot topic

Conor Bezane

There is a great need for a multicultural center on campus, Iowa State students said Wednesday at an open-mic forum to discuss the issue.

“If you have one single building [as a multicultural center], it’s almost like touring the world in one building. That would be a great asset,” said Lang Tran, president of the Vietnamese Student Association and senior in computer science and engineering.

As concern for diversity on campus increases, many members of the Iowa State community continue to debate whether a multicultural center should be created.

An ethnically diverse group of students, faculty and Ames residents met to discuss possibilities and voice opinions regarding the establishment of a multicultural center.

Sponsored by the Multicultural Task Force, the forum drew a crowd of about 50 people to the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.

Most of the speakers expressed their support for the creation of a multicultural center.

Meron Wondwosen, president of Black Student Alliance and senior in political science and French, said her organization also endorses the idea.

“We believe it will be an opportunity for students of European descent to come and learn about other cultures. We need to look at this in terms of it being inclusive of everyone on campus,” Wondwosen said.

Others present at the forum emphasized making people from all cultures welcome at the center.

“There is an impression that people who are white might think that the multicultural center is not for them … When you’re talking about culture, you’re talking about everyone,” said Dennis Peterson, director of the Office of International Students and scholars.

“Every building on this campus is for everyone,” he added. “I think it would be politically unastute if people said the multicultural center is only for people of color.”

If the decision is made to build a multicultural center, the next question will be one of location.

Mary Jo Mertens, director of the Memorial Union, suggested making a multicultural center an extension of the Union.

She said the Union is suitable for this because it has provided various office space for student organizations and has also been the host of many speakers and multicultural activities.

Some possible ideas were also given for programs and facilities the center would offer.

Steve McDonnell, director of student-athlete services, said some of the facilities that have been proposed include a resource library, art gallery, multi-purpose room and coffee shop.

Vikki Carnine-Irwin, member of the Multicultural Task Force, said a multicultural center should provide information to everyone.

“We are concerned with access and opportunity. I think we envisioned a place where people can go to ask questions,” Carnine-Irwin said.

“Students on this campus need to take advantage of what’s available on campus. It is important for us to create those types of communication, but it will take more than a building,” she said.

One audience member took the opportunity to make some observations about multiculturalism looking at the people attending the forum.

“I look at this room and we all look different. We are all polite to each other and we like each other. We need to be one. Unity should come within diversity. A multicultural center will encourage that,” she said.