Grant helps Student Support Services serve ISU students

Conor Bezane

Student Support Services, which is dedicated to helping Iowa State students, recently received a 4-year grant to serve 250 students each year.

Mariama Hodari, director of Student Support Services at ISU, said the grant will benefit the organization.

“This is a great group of multiethnic students who come to this institution in need of support. Once they get that support, it makes our institution proud,” Hodari said.

The program was developed to assist students from low-income families, first-generation students and handicapped students, Hodari said.

The organization has been in existence nationally since 1968, and at ISU since 1980.

According to Hodari, Student Support Services provides personal and academic support for students by funding various programs and activities.

The organization has developed tutorial programs and peer mentoring, and also has helped pay for students to attend cultural events. Two advising counselors are also on staff.

Hodari said one of the goals of the program is to “make sure students understand how the university system works.”

She said faculty members and administration often are invited to gatherings that inform and encourage students.

Allan Nosworthy, a graduate student who works for Student Support Services, said funding is a major concern for the program.

“The problem is, we are definitely understaffed,” Nosworthy said.

“Funding is an issue for us. The more funding we have, the more students we can serve,” Nosworthy said.

He began working at Student Support Services as an English tutor and currently works with financial aid and debt management.

The program is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Hodari said.

She added that more funding is needed for the program, but that it is difficult to acquire funds.

“I think there should be more money available, but it does have something to do with public will. Congress has other priorities for decisions to be made,” Hodari said.

She added that about 6,000 ISU students are eligible for the program, but only 15 to 17 percent of these students are served.

Hodari also said 75 to 80 percent of applicants are admitted to the program.

Student Support Services can assist 250 students, but since some students become inactive in the program, other students may be added, Hodari said.

She said the success of the program is displayed through the graduation rates for African American students.

Students who participate in Student Support Services have a graduation rate of 50 to 53 percent, while about 30 percent of nonparticipants graduate.

Although ISU has contributed some funds, Hodari said the university should provide more money.

“Every institution that has a [Student Support Services] program must provide institutional funds.

“In that area, ISU needs to beef up its contributions,” she said. “These are ISU students who have the least income, and they need money for education. ISU has not been on the front line of that.”