Jischke, ABC to travel to Sioux City next week

Jennifer Spencer

Iowa State president Martin Jischke will travel to Sioux City, Iowa, next week with the Atanasoff-Berry Computer replica to meet with alumni, high school students and businesses in Sioux City.

Jischke said the trip will include a reception for alumni and friends of the university in the area, including a presentation for the replica of the computer.

“Alumni find the history of the Atanasoff-Berry Computer (ABC) quite inspiring,” Jischke said. “I think it has engendered a great sense of pride among ISU alumni.”

The ABC was built between 1939 and 1942 in the basement of the Physics Building at ISU. The ABC was the world’s first electronic digital computer.

The replica was built to recognize Atanasoff and Berry, according to a press release. The original ABC was never patented.

The authentic working replica was built over the past three years by a team of scientists, technicians and students at Ames Laboratory, a U.S. Department of Energy facility at ISU, according to a press release.

The tour of the computer replica is scheduled for 12 more stops this year, including a display at Veishea 1998 in April.

Jischke said the computer has been on display to large audiences in the past. The ABC replica drew more than 1,000 people during its week at the science station in Cedar Rapids.

He said it was also the feature of the alumni meeting in Cedar Rapids, bringing about 150 people.

“We use [the ABC replica] to instill additional pride in our alumni, but also to tell ISU’s role in science and technology to a larger audience,” Jischke said.

Jischke’s trip to Sioux City will also include a visit to Sioux City East High School, where he will urge students to continue their education beyond high school.

“Not only will the society reward them for that in considerably higher earning power, they will lead richer lives,” Jischke said.