Fraternity helps track meets run smootlhy

Shemeka Sumrall

Iowa State home track meets have been running more smoothly, thanks to the volunteers of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity.

“I enjoy helping out because it’s a lot of fun,” said Brandon Hollonbeck, sophomore in psychology and a member of Alpha Tau Omega.

“I feel that I contribute the most to the pole vault event. It’s an exciting one,” he said.

Hollonbeck and fraternity member Trevor Bleedorn, sophomore in English and secondary education, have become the fraternity’s pole vault experts.

“We have also done the high jump for both the men’s and women’s track teams,” Bleedorn said.

House members also help measure where the shot put lands, set up hurdles and adjust the height for the pole vault event, Hollonbeck said.

Alpha Tau Omega has been helping out with home Cyclone track meets since before semester break, Bleedorn said.

“Pretty much everyone in our house helps out,” he added.

Kevin Bourke, assistant men’s track coach, sent out a letter to every fraternity on campus asking for track meet volunteers.

“Alpha Tau Omega was the first house to respond. That’s how they were chosen,” Bourke said.

“It’s been great. Just having them at the meets has made our meets a lot easier, and our lives,” he said.

Alpha Tau Omega Service Chairman Jerry Roche spoke with Bourke and decided it would be a good idea for the fraternity to volunteer, Bleedorn said.

“They do a great job for us,” said Dick Lee, coach of the women’s track team.

“They come to the home meets willing to do whatever we need of them. We also have faculty members and people from Des Moines who also come to help us out at our meets,” he said.