ISU professors, students scrutinize Clinton’s actions

Shawntelle Madison

The controversy over U.S. President Bill Clinton and his alleged affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky has media as well as Iowa State students and professors talking.

The first topic encountered during Professor Carolyn James’ international relations class on Friday was the Clinton situation.

The class included the controversy in their discussion time, as James explained what consequences and effects the situation might have on national and international relations.

James, a temporary professor of political science, said it will have an effect on Clinton’s relationships with other world leaders. While he is under the scrutiny of the media and almost all other Americans, other countries might have the opportunity to make their move.

“Weakened leaders are not in a good position during negotiations. He is weak in his ability to use his strong-arm,” James said.

Students in the class commented that Clinton is losing credibility because of the allegations. They concluded the Middle East peace talks have faded from media attention because of the focus on his personal life.

“In my personal opinion, the media has gone berserk,” said Steffen Schmidt, a professor of political science. “There has been no coverage of Kaczynski and his admittance of being the Unabomber. That is a big deal.”

James also said semantics are important during a situation like this.

She noted that during a Clinton interview with ABC White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, the president was very careful with his selection of words.

Schmidt said his colleagues have sent him many e-mails about the Clinton scandal, and he said the topic will probably come up in university and high school government discussions.

Schmidt said the crux of the situation is whether or not Clinton lied under oath.

“If they can prove he lied, then he is in trouble,” Schmidt said.

This leaves the president open for criminal prosecution, Schmidt said.

If Clinton is found guilty of lying under oath or attempting to coerce Lewinsky into lying, the Republicans will likely try to impeach him.

Schmidt said there are many unknowns about the situation, such as: Where was Hillary Clinton when all this happened? Did Lewinsky come when the First Lady was away on trips?

He said Hillary does go on many trips during the year.

The situation may affect the political structure beyond Clinton, Schmidt said.

“It can hurt Democrats in other elections,” he said. “Voters might take it out on them.”

Schmidt said the president needs to take charge. “It is obvious Clinton has to do something. The next move is up to him,” he said.

Proving Schmidt right, Clinton made an unequivocal statement Monday saying he did not commit adultery with Lewinsky, a 24-year-old who started working at the White House three years ago.

“I did not have sexual relations with that woman,” he said as he shook his finger at the TV cameras.