‘Sibling Invasion’ to strike ISU in February

Jennifer Spencer

The Student Alumni Association is coordinating an invasion of the Iowa State campus next month — a “Sibling Invasion,” that is.

SAA will host Little Sibs Weekend 1998 on Feb. 27 and 28. Emily Hildebrand, general co-chairwoman, said the weekend is an opportunity for younger students to experience ISU.

“We’re really interested in getting younger students interested in ISU and the possibility of maybe even being a student here later,” Hildebrand said.

“It’s more a focus on the Iowa State family and to let the younger siblings get a look at what it’s like here,” said Misty Muller, member of the planning committee for Little Sibs.

The weekend is geared at ISU students’ siblings ages 7 to 14.

Hildebrand said the event focuses on younger students rather than high-school age siblings because of the difference in interests.

“When high school students come to Iowa State, they are usually interested in completely different things,” Hildebrand said.

Little Sibs Weekend will include events such as pictures with Cy the mascot, a carnival, an ice cream social and interactive seminars by various campus organizations.

The Iowa Egg Council will also sponsor a breakfast and a presentation about eggs, Muller said.

The theme of the weekend is “Sibling Invasion,” and activities will follow a Martian-related theme, Hildebrand said, adding that the movie “Space Jam” will be shown.

A “mystery lunch” will also be served. Muller said students will pick menu items with space-theme names and find out what the items actually are when they are served.

Hildebrand said only about 50 siblings attended last year’s event, but this year, SAA hopes to expand the weekend and increase involvement.

She said ISU students who invite their siblings to campus for the weekend should expect to be involved in the activities.

“ISU students are responsible for their siblings while they are here,” Hildebrand said. “It’s not just a baby-sitting service.”

Registrations for the weekend are due Feb. 13 in the SAA office in the Memorial Union. Anyone wanting more details on the event can contact the SAA at 294-8488.