Childcare facility in Pammel Court open

Carrie Tett

For parents connected to Iowa State, University Community Childcare (UCC) is a safe care provider to their children.

UCC, which provides childcare for the children of ISU students, faculty and staff, is located in Pammel Court, north of campus.

Its program philosophy is based upon children learning through play and physical and social activities.

UCC is offered to children from ages six months to 12 years, and has various programs depending on age and level of development.

Infant and toddler, intermediate preschool, preschool, Flex-Care Preschool, school age, Rainbow Preschool and Comfort Zone programs are available at UCC.

UCC has a “variety of developmentally appropriate activities,” according to the program’s informational pamphlet, which explains the importance of play in the development of infants, toddlers and school-age children.

“There are a variety of costs,” Penny Pepper, director of UCC, said. “The fee is based on family size and income.”

She said students who are income eligible pay one of the two lowest rates.

Pepper said all children are welcome at UCC. Of the children attending UCC, 60 to 65 percent belong to parents who are students.

“Children of former students make up less than one percent of the kids,” Pepper said.

UCC is a nonprofit organization managed locally and is partly funded by sponsors such as the university, ISU Department of Residence, Government of the Student Body, United Way of Story County, City of Ames and Story County.

Another option for children of ISU students, faculty and staff is the ISU Childcare Center at the College of Veterinary Medicine. Like UCC, about 60 percent of its care goes to children of students.

The ISU Childcare Center is a profitable organization with three different payment levels that vary by family income.

“Our center is managed by Bright Horizons, a national childcare company,” Karri Kerns, director of ISU Childcare Center, said.