National alcohol expert will speak in Ames next week

Jennifer Spencer

Alan Berkowitz, a national expert on alcohol prevention programs, will visit Iowa State next week to discuss peer behavior and community support in alcohol prevention.

Berkowitz, a scholar-in-residence at the University of Scranton (Pa.) will be at ISU from Tuesday to Thursday.

He will present “Changing Campus and Community Culture: New Approaches to Prevention of Problems Associated with Alcohol Use” to the public on Tuesday at 4:15 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The two emphases of Berkowitz’s alcohol prevention system are providing accurate information on peer behavior toward alcohol, and focusing on healthy attitudes and behaviors of community members.

Dave Haden, student activities specialist at the Student Activities Center, said Berkowitz will speak to several groups during his time on campus.

“[Berkowitz will] be here for a two-day time period, and he’ll be going constantly during that time,” Haden said.

Specific workshops will target residence life, greek life, athletics, faculty and staff.

Berkowitz will speak to several groups, including Government of the Student Body, the Veishea Committee, Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, administrators and community leaders.

“We’ve invited anyone and everyone who we think would have some interest in [alcohol abuse prevention],” Haden said.

Berkowitz has researched data from other institutions and has done his own research on alcohol use and prevention programs, Haden said.

Haden said the alcohol education committee hopes to gain an understanding of what has worked at other institutions, so a similar plan may be implemented at ISU.

“What we want to do afterwards is coordinate a plan for how to tackle substance abuse on campus and in the community,” Haden said.

He said the groups Berkowitz will target include “key folks” in alcohol abuse prevention, such as ISU student government leaders.

“I don’t think anyone, anywhere has been completely effective in dealing with substance abuse programs,” Haden said.

The Alcohol Education Committee at ISU is hosting Berkowitz’s visit.