Holidays – international style

Shemeka Sumrall

Many students travel far and wide to be with family during the holidays.

Trina Radske, a senior in exercise and sport science, travels to Northern Ontario, Canada, during the holiday break.

“I live about 22 hours northeast of Ames in a little town called South Porcupine. Our town is a little mining town where just about everybody’s dad works in a mine,” Radske said.

Radske said she usually goes home for about two weeks and then returns to Ames for the third week.

“I usually go home twice a year — summer and Christmas. We spend Christmas with family and friends,” she said.

“We have the same type of Christmas as does the U.S. with Christmas trees, presents, turkey and all that great stuff,” Radske said.

“The only thing different is that we have a lot more snow to play in. Christmas would not be Christmas without lots of snow,” she added.

Hendra Djohari, a sophomore in marketing, has an even further way to travel.

“I am going back to my country,” said Djohari, who will return to Indonesia during break. “I don’t have any plans right now for when I get there.”

Ana Carr, a graduate student in agricultural education and ag studies, has made other plans for winter break. After spending two weeks visiting her family, she is making arrangements with Greg Miller, professor of agriculture, to spend the third week of break participating in the Mexico Culture in Agriculture program, she said.

“We want the students to understand the culture in preparation for spring break,” Carr said.

“Iowa Sate students involved in the program and some members of the agricultural education department will visit farmers and agricultural and national institutions during the program in Guadalajara, Mexico. We will also meet with professors and students from the University of Guadalajara,” she said.