Appreciation for diversity focus of upcoming retreat

Jennifer Spencer

An upcoming retreat will offer Iowa State students ideas to cope with the harsh Iowa winter while gaining understanding of other cultures.

The Iowa Global Village: Iowa Week of Intercultural Living and Learning will host a weekend retreat Jan. 9-11 to consider “What does winter mean to you?”

Linda Wolf of the Iowa Global Village planning committee said the conference aims at appreciation of diversity.

“The first and primary goal is to increase understanding and appreciation of people and their diversity one from another,” Wolf said.

This year’s conference will be held at the Iowa 4-H Camp and Conference Center near Luther.

Wolf said the first Iowa Global Village conferences started in 1986.

However, this is the first year the conference has been held in January, she said.

“This year we’re talking about the needs of many international students who do not go home in the winter break between classes,” Wolf said.

Wolf said many international students have trouble adjusting to Iowa winters.

“For those who are from a very warm climate, Iowa winters are very harsh, severe and horrible,” Wolf said.

The conference is open to both international and American students.

Wolf said of the 45 students that attended last year, about two-thirds were international students.

Wolf said the Iowa Global Village focuses on learning by sharing.

Conference activities have varied in past years, she said, depending on what students have brought for the weekend conference.

“There’s always time for cultural sharing,” Wolf said. “Sometimes students will teach each other games or folk songs from their cultures.”

The conference also includes outside activities, small and large group discussions and a festival for students to share talents with the group.

The conference will include a Sunday morning “spiritual awakening,” Wolf said.

“[The spiritual awakening] is not denominational or even particularly a Christian event; rather, it’s for recognizing the spirituality in all of us no matter from what background people come,” she said.

Jane Edwards, program coordinator of the International Student Center, said Iowa State students have benefited from the conference in past years.

“It’s been a chance for students to get to know people from different parts of the world, as well as from Iowa,” Edwards said.

The registration deadline is Dec. 25.

However, Wolf said applications would be accepted late if students have made contact with the planning committee.

Students can contact Edwards for more information at 294-0378. A Web site is also available at http://www.wmpenn.edu/Pennweb/global/village.html.