Art sale equals good Christmas presents

Jennifer Spencer

Iowa State students and members of the Ames community have the opportunity to purchase works from up-and-coming artists at the College of Design’s end of the semester ceramic sale.

The sale, in its third year, will run today and Thursday in the atrium of the College of Design building from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Greg Lamont, graduate in marketing and ceramics, said the sale features work that ranges from functional, such as mugs, to sculptural.

Lamont said 30 percent of the purchase price will go to the College of Design’s Art Club, while the remaining money goes to students.

Prices on the several hundred pieces of art available at the sale will vary, Lamont said.

“These pieces will go anywhere from a couple of dollars to a couple of hundred,” he said. “Every semester it seems to get a little bigger and better.”

Ingrid Lilligren, assistant professor of art and design, said the end of the semester ceramic sale was created so design students could have real world experience.

“It seemed to me it would be really great for students to gain an opportunity to get some professional experience by selling their work,” Lilligren said.

Although many students exhibiting works are not planning careers in ceramics, Lilligren said there are a few who hope to work professionally after graduation.

“There are three people right now who are in the process of setting up their own studios and want to do this after graduation,” Lilligren said.

Lamont said the main reason for the sale is not for students to earn a profit. “[Students] are trying to unload some extra projects before they go home for break, so you’ll get some real steals,” he said.

The ceramics program is part of the craft and design major, Lamont said. Three undergraduate classes and one graduate class are offered in the department.