The 411 on finals – from the professional

Shawntelle Madison

As finals week approaches, freshmen begin studying for their first finals. Having already gone through many semesters of the exams, upperclassmen are a pool of information for finals preparation.

The No. 1 tip the majority of upperclassmen recommend pertains to methods of reviewing material.

Monic Muldrew, a junior in management information systems, said it would take too long to review the whole book.

“Don’t reread the whole book. Reread your lecture notes several times,” Muldrew said.

Rebekah Waddell, a junior in accounting, recommends making a schedule to organize studying. Rob Meyer, a senior in physics, said individuals should isolate themselves from other students.

Both Charisse Stewart, a senior in apparel merchandising, design and production and Shantel Brown, a junior in accounting, recommend preparing in advance.

“Don’t procrastinate. At least two days before the exam have study materials ready. You should have it ready to read over and study,” Stewart said.

“Read and prepare in advance. Don’t scan, but read,” Brown said.

Many upperclassmen emphasize using old exams. These resources can give students a preview of what could possibly be presented on the exam.

Geovanti Steward, a junior in mechanical engineering, said one should practice exams from several semesters back.

“Practice final exams, preferably two semesters back. Usually teachers won’t include materials from last semester, but they will typically draw from a couple semesters back,” Steward said.

James Parks, a senior in material science engineering, agreed with Steward.

“Look over your old tests — it is very likely [the professor] will stick to that format,” Park said.

Time management was another topic upperclassmen viewed important.

“Allot time specifically to study. Stay true to that time and make that your No. 1 priority,” said Marva Sumlin, a senior in journalism and history.

Several upperclassmen had suggestions for underclassmen taking courses in their major. Jeff Bowman, a senior in physics, advised those taking introductory physics courses to completely understand the formulas.

“Familarize yourself with the formulas. The constants are given on the exam,” Bowman said.

Jennifer Leslie, a graduate student in mechanical engineering, said majors should concentrate on seeing the big picture and how the little things fit together.

Stewart recommends textile/clothing majors study their lecture notes.

“Study the lecture notes; the professors lay out the lecture notes very well,” she said.

Muldrew said MIS students need to learn the terminology and understand its applications.