Season of stress begins for students

Abby Snyder

In four short weeks, Iowa State students will begin to feel the stress and pressure of finals.

On the bright side, ISU offers numerous ways for students to relieve their stress.

A brochure found at the Student Services Building defines stress as “a pressure from the outside or inside that makes us experience anxiety inside our bodies.”

The brochure says some stress is good for us because it keeps us alert and active. However, too much stress can cause many physical and psychological problems.

Martha Norton, peer program educator, said the Student Counseling Service and the Women’s Center are great places to go if a student needs to relieve stress. In the past, these places have offered fun handouts and brochures, along with play rooms, relaxation exercises, herbal teas and massage therapists, Norton said.

The Stress Free Zone, offered Dec. 10-12 in the Memorial Union and the Women’s Center, provides an excellent place where students can go to forget about finals by participating in fun activities, Norton said. The Recreation Center is also considering offering a Stress Free Zone this year.

Norton said peer educators from the Student Counseling Service will be giving three stress management workshops within the greek system during the beginning of December.

“The Student Counseling Service sees about 2,000 students a year. Finals week doesn’t seem to be much busier than any other week,” said Gene Deisinger, clinical assistant director of Student Counseling.

Erica Brown, freshman in business, said she is not too worried about finals, because her testing times are spread out during the week.

Deisinger also said ISU offers more than 500 healthy and creative activities which can help students relieve stress. “Don’t focus on just one thing,” he said.

“The most effective way to reduce stress is to maintain a well-balanced life,” Deisinger said.

To achieve this well-balanced life, one needs the basics: a healthy diet, a consistent sleep cycle and a regular exercise plan, he said.

It is also wise to have a support system, such as family and friends who will be available to listen and help out, Deisinger said.

Alcohol, tobacco products, cramming for tests and pulling “all nighters” are four things to avoid when looking to reduce stress, he said.