Central Iowa Symphony brings culture to Ames

Ashley Hassebroek

It is an orchestra composed of musicians from a variety of musical backgrounds.

From young budding musicians to experienced veterans of the music community, the Central Iowa Symphony includes people who meet simply to experience music.

“There is a variety of performers in CIS,” said orchestra member Heather Sushko. “The orchestra includes students to music professionals to people in the community who just want to have a lot of fun.”

The Symphony will perform its second concert of the 1997-1998 concert season Sunday.

Under the baton of conductor Paula K. Holcomb, the orchestra will perform “Symphony No. 2 in C minor,” by Pyotr Tchaikovsky, “The Density of Memory,” by George Flynn and the first movement of the Mendelssohn violin concerto.

Guest performers playing at the performance include violinist Andrew Choi, the Chicago Clarinet Trio and the Ames High School Strings, conducted by Mary Kay Polashek.

Choi, an Ames native, was selected to play in Sunday’s concert because of his reputation as a virtuoso performer.

“He’s just a fine player,” Holcomb said. “A prodigy — just really excellent.”

Choi began playing the violin 12 years ago and has since received many honors and awards.

When he was only a sophomore in high school, Choi won the pre-college division of the American String Teacher’s Association National Solo Competition.

He has recently won first place in other national competitions, such as the Corpus Christi Young Artists Competition and the Ontario Kiwanis Festival.

Choi said he is looking forward to Sunday’s performance.

“I’m excited because I’ll be giving a real down-to-earth performance,” Choi said. “This is my first real honest-to-goodness performance.”

The Chicago Trio, composed of Chicago Symphony members Larry Combs, Julie DeRoche and John Bruce Yeh, will be performing a piece for three clarinets and orchestra.

In addition to their job with the Chicago Symphony, all three members teach at DePaul University in Chicago.

The 57-member Ames High School Strings will be joining CIS for a non-traditional piece entitled “Skylife” by David Balakrishnan of the Turtle Island Quartet.

Although the piece is not a piece one might expect to hear at an orchestral concert, Holcomb said she thinks it is necessary to play different types of music.

“I think orchestras need to be current. We need to reach into all aspects of music,” Holcomb said. “Jazz is very much a part of our culture.”

The Central Iowa Symphony is comprised of about 70 members who come from Ames and 11 surrounding towns.

The group practices Monday nights at the Ames City Auditorium.

The orchestra has expanded in its 11 years as more people have found out about CIS.

“Musicians tend to know each other,” Holcomb said. “We have started to get band directors, professors and people in the community who just want to play.”

The orchestra exists to bring culture to the community, she added.

“It’s an opportunity for people to keep making music from young people to mature people. It’s an opportunity to bring something different to the community,” Holcomb said.

The concert will start at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Ames City Auditorium.

Tickets are $2 at the door.