Henican digs and kills for ISU

Jill Hawkins

At the midpoint of the conference volleyball season, outside hitter Colleen Henican continues to trigger the Cyclone defense and offense.

Along with leading the team in digs and kills, Henican, a junior from New Orleans, also is a frontrunner in the Big 12 standings. In 81 games, Henican has compiled 303 digs and 409 kills. These statistics place Henican first in the conference in digs and third in kills.

“I knew that Colleen was capable of being a top hitter in the conference,” coach Jackie Nunez said. “She has demonstrated that through her performance this year.”

Henican said she enjoys playing both offense and defense, but the defense hasn’t come as easily for her.

“When I was a junior in high school, my club coach said I wouldn’t play back row anywhere,” Henican said. “It’s very satisfying to prove that coach wrong.”

Henican leads the conference in digs with an average of 3.86 per game. She recorded a career-high 25 digs last year against New Orleans and has totaled 21 three times this season against Hofstra, Central Michigan and Villanova.

“Colleen has emerged as one of the top defenders in the Big 12,” assistant coach Sarah Lewis said.

Henican also is hitting well, averaging 5.05 kills per game. Henican recently set a career high in kills when she recorded 29 against Missouri on Oct. 22.

In 19 of the 23 matches this season, Henican has attained double figures in both kills and digs. Her kills per game average also stands her at the top of ISU’s season leaders.

Henican said she has played a variety of positions throughout her high school and collegiate careers. In high school she was middle blocker, and at ISU she has played both right-side hitter and outside hitter.

Initially, Henican’s blocking abilities got her on the court but she did not care what position she was asked to play.

“I just like to hit,” Henican said. “I didn’t care where they put me.”

When Henican was a freshman, the Cyclones qualified for their first and only NCAA tournament berth. She said her biggest goal is to go back to the NCAAs and advance past the second round.

Nunez said Henican’s success this season isn’t by chance.

“She has created this for herself through her goals, determination and training,” Nunez said.

Even though she is only a junior, Henican is one of the oldest players on the team and is seen as a team leader. This year’s squad is comprised of one senior, three juniors, two sophomores and eight freshmen.

“Colleen is a competitive, intense player who provides vocal leadership,” Nunez said. “I’m excited we have her for another year.”