Cable rates way to high, students say

Abby Snyder

Cable rates for Iowa State students are on the rise.

“TCI is screwing residents with the high prices for the small amount of channels we receive,” said Wendell Mosby, resident assistant of Hanson House.

Cyndi Pannkuk, office manager for TCI of Central Iowa, said residence hall rates at ISU simply increase with the rise in the cable rates of the residential areas.

Off campus cable rates are $24.28 per month and expanded off campus cable rates are $44.41 per month, she said.

Currently, if an enitire floor orders cable, the rates are $9.80 monthly per room for the entire school year and $12.60 monthly per room for one semester, Pannkuk said.

These prices vary according to the number of rooms that sign up for cable per floor.

In Lawther House, 19 of the 25 rooms are currently paying $66.60 per room per semester, said Jessica Slavik, house treasurer.

In Lindstrom House, 24 out of the 26 rooms are paying $110 per room for the year, said Lucas Wells.

Out of the 140 floors of Iowa State’s residence halls, approximately 100 floors have signed up for cable, Pannkuk said.

TCI makes all decisions on cable prices.

Lauren Berdofe, treasurer of Fleming House, said, “TCI should figure out a better system if they want more floors to participate.”

Mosby also said that TCI was a week late in hooking up the cable for Hanson House.