Campus biking: a sport worthy of some athletic recognition?

Amanda Fier

Biking is almost everybody’s introduction to sports besides catch. After the tricycle and the big wheel, you take to the bike. Your parents hold onto your fat banana seat and tell you that this time you will not put your feet down when they let go. And eventually, you keep your feet on the pedals until you crash into the curb five seconds later while looking over your little shoulder to say to your parents, “I did it!” With practice, you develop the skills to turn corners, pop wheelies and go one or no-handed.

Most people bicycle for leisure. A select group gets competitive enough for the Tour de France. But for college students, the bike is much more than that. Biking is your mode of transportation. It gets you from venue to venue, class to class because even if you have a car, you cannot park it within two miles of the Campanile.

I never forgot how to ride a bike, but I have noticed negative fluctuations in my riding abilities since becoming a commuter.

What is so challenging about riding on campus? So many variables. Backpack weight and bulk, hooded jackets and pants flapping into the greasy chain are just a few.

Last week, while pedaling to class wearing a 20-pound backpack and a hooded jacket, I noticed my balance is in jeopardy.

In the process of turning a corner, my backpack shifted all too suddenly. I yanked the handlebars and looked around to see if anyone was watching me freak out trying to gain my composure. Another problem I have is forgetting to tuck my hood in. I will try to head check before turning for other bikers or motor vehicles and it clings to my face, blocking all vision.

On campus, weaving in and out of crowds and making the change from grassy terrain to sidewalk without catching your front wheel in the crack make you keep your mind on the ride.

Other challenges to bikers are slow walkers, walkers who weave, walkers who are sudden stoppers and fellow bikers.

Everything mentioned makes campus bicycling a challenge. I know that some people take sidewalk cracks by the wheel and aggressively move up from the grass. I know that others have perfected their ability to weave in and out of class-going crowds. This column is for you. And so is this suggestion.

Because of the vast numbers of Cyclone bikers, I suggest that we hold a contest for students who bike and are familiar with the challenging conditions.

This competition would be held on the campus sidewalks where student riders try to perfect their coordination and ability to swerve any which way, change to grassy terrain or stop suddenly to avoid collisions with other bikers at sidewalk intersections.

You champions could show your stuff on a campus course. We could also have a fun course where you could do some jumps or show some special tactics you use to avoid people and buildings.

It’s just an idea. We support all athletes at the Daily Sports Desk. And I’ve decided that all Cyclone riders deserve an athletic league of your own. So if enough of you want some crazy course, I will try to make sure that you get it.

Amanda Fier is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Davenport.