Veishea Exec Board members selected

Teresa Haberer

Members of the 1998 Veishea Executive Board were announced last weekend following a four-week evaluation process.

Twenty-three students were chosen for the board from the 45 who applied this September.

“We had a lot of really qualified applicants,” said Ben Dohrmann, Veishea 1998 co-chairman and a senior in agricultural business. “We want to congratulate everyone named to the executive board.”

Kathryn Whitaker, Veishea 1998 co-chairwoman and a graduate student in agricultural education, said she and Dohrmann have been “optimistic since the beginning” that the Veishea celebration will be continued next year.

“We believe in the students of Iowa State and think they will take the [alcohol-free] pledge for the right reasons,” Whitaker said.

Both Dohrmann and Whitaker agree their goal for the 1998 festivities is simply “to help recreate Veishea.”

Whitaker said all of the applicants for the Executive Board signed statements declaring their support for the alcohol-free proposal suggested by ISU President Martin Jischke.

Dohrmann said each of the 23 chairpersons will head a committee including three to 30 students in a specific area, such as entertainment, risk management and parade.

“The committee members play a huge role” in putting on a successful Veishea, Dohrmann said.

Applicants for the Executive Board went through a three-step evaluation process, Dohrmann said.

Students first submitted applications and then went through an interview process.

Applicants also had the opportunity to present a proposal for a specific area and ask general questions, Dohrmann said.

“The Board members that were chosen were the students who were the most qualified for that specific area as far as technical skills,” he said.

Applications for students wishing to be committee members for the 1998 celebration will be available “after President Jischke makes his final decision regarding next year’s Veishea,” Dohrmann said.