Business Week at Iowa State to focus on entrepreneurship

Abby Snyder

Iowa State’s third annual Business Week kicks off today with the theme “There Is No One Way” and a focus on entrepreneurship.

Many events and seminars are scheduled to take place throughout the week.

This year’s major event will be a formal luncheon in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Friday.

The featured speaker will be William Krause, CEO of Kum ‘N Go convenience stores.

Krause will speak on the challenges and rewards of being an entrepreneur.

An awards ceremony is scheduled to follow.

Alison Knutson, co-chairwoman of the Business Week committee, said, “Entrepreneurship ties in nicely with the theme ‘There Is No One Way’ because entrepreneurship requires going against traditional avenues and taking alternate routes.”

Monday’s events will include a barbecue and club booths south of the Campanile.

A volleyball tournament at Beyer Hall is set to take place in the afternoon.

Professional seminars on the topics of business etiquette, networking, women’s and men’s apparel, resume writing, after college financial planning, interviewing and evaluating job offers will take place on Tuesday.

Jennifer Hentges, promotions chair of the Business Week committee, advises students to participate in the events on Tuesday.

She said it will be a great day because the business professionals giving the seminars will provide valuable information for all business students.

Wednesday is Career Day in the Great Hall.

Mock interviews in the Great Hall will take place on Thursday.

A faculty/student softball game with an informal barbecue is scheduled to take place in the late afternoon.

The traditional Engineer Week at ISU paved the way for Business Week.

The College of Business wanted to expand on the original Business Day for promotional reasons.

A brochure from the business college said Business Week was created to give ISU students more opportunities to learn about the College of Business, explore career goals and options and prepare effectively for their future.

A business booth will be set up all week in the Carver Hall lobby. This booth is available to answer questions and give more information to business students.

Jessica Millhollin, a freshman in business, said, “Business Week will be a great opportunity for me to discover if business is the right major for me.”