Graduate returns to ISU with $1.5 million gift

Teresa Haberer

Alumnus Chris Richardson returned to Iowa State for Engineering Week Tuesday to discuss life in the engineering workplace and to present the engineering department with a donation of nearly $1.5 million worth of electrical equipment.

Richardson is president and chief operating officer for Square D and Groupe Schneider’s North American Division, which operates out of Pallatine, Ill.

Not an engineer himself, Richardson graduated from ISU in 1971 with a bachelor’s degree in industrial administration.

“They wouldn’t let me into engineering,” he said.

Yet engineers play a major role in the operations of Groupe Schneider.

“Engineers are our key resource,” Richardson said, adding that two-thirds of employees on Groupe Schneider’s professional side are engineers from various disciplines.

“Our need for engineers is growing, as customers want more unique solutions,” Richardson said. “More people are needed that understand the multiple functions of the applications of electricity and computers —people with a broad spectrum of engineering capabilities.”

Job prospects for engineers have never been better, Richardson said. The key for job-hunters is the ability to work well in teams.

“Just as important as competency in the work you’re doing is the ability to work well with others, because team projects are a very important part of engineering today,” he said.

Richardson cited Team PrISUm, ISU’s solar-car team, as a good example of students preparing for real-life careers while at the university.

“Team PrISUm is a great way to experience the reality of what’s out there,” he said. “The multiple disciplines and functions stimulated by team efforts really make for faster creative functioning.”

Richardson said his company hires ISU graduates from a variety of engineering disciplines on a consistent basis.

He cites high-quality students as the reason behind Groupe Schneider’s recruiting at ISU.

“There are many schools you can go to and find people with degrees,” he said. “The quality of the people who come out of Iowa State and the work ethic those people have is key.”

Recruited himself from ISU by Groupe Schneider in 1971, Richardson said his company has a commitment to creating relationships with engineering students on campus.

“Facilitating relationships with ISU students is a main reason for our electrical equipment donation to the engineering department,” he said.

In addition to the equipment donation, Groupe Schneider has donated $50,000 to the Engineering Student Council at ISU.

Richardson said while competency and discipline are important traits for engineering graduates to possess, it is important for their training not to be focused too narrowly.

“It’s key that our people must have a broad perspective,” he said.

Peggy Gann, vice president of human resources for Groupe Schneider, said success as a engineer means having a true interest in the vocation instead of focusing on the next career opportunity.

“We appreciate someone who wants to learn their trade,” Gann said. “Many students from schools that are more MBA based (than ISU) are only interested in their next career move. People are most productive when they are happy with what they are doing and the lifestyle it creates.”

Richardson said students are most likely to find career happiness by finding something they enjoy doing and making sure they aren’t going to get trapped in the lifestyle the job creates.

“You really need to think about things such as what area of the country you want to live in or whether you want to be home early every night,” he said.

“You have to look at the consequences of being successful in a career, being careful not to get trapped in a lifestyle you don’t want,” Richardson said.