Iowa State is known for its corn and pigs

Archana Chandrupatla

Anyone who has driven across Iowa’s countryside will know the most common sites are corn stalks and pigs.

David Topal, dean of the College of Agriculture, and the students of the College of Agriculture are very proud of the opportunities provided by the college.

“The state of Iowa ranks No. 1 in the country in the production of corn and pigs, and as this is highly related to Iowa State … this makes our college strong,” Topal said.

Amanda Bingham, a sophomore in agricultural business agreed. “People not from Iowa might think of it like that,” she said. “But in reality, it’s more business and professionally related.”

Bingham said “hands-on work really doesn’t happen until the upper level, [and I] want people to understand how important Iowa, and thus, Iowa State is, because if Iowa wasn’t here, people wouldn’t eat.”

Not only are corn and pigs instrumental in people’s diets, they are also profitable resources.

The National Corn Laboratory of the United States is located at ISU, and there is a partnership between ISU and the USDA.

“We offer good opportunities in basic and applied research for corn genetics, and we are given close to $8 billion a year for this research,” Topal said. “This shows the economic impact of our research on industry.

“We research everything from microgenetics to applied corn breeding.”

Topal also said he is optimistic regarding the studies and opportunities given to his students.

“Undergraduate and graduate students have opportunities to work with professors and scientists in this area, and they also have wonderful opportunities to work with industries through internships,” Topal said.

He said during Career Day there are 140 companies who participate and talk to students.

The companies give students opportunities for internships all over the world, he said.

And many students do seem to be heading into the direction of industry.

While many of the students enrolled in the College of Agriculture come from farm backgrounds, not many return to them.

“Only 12 percent of students go back to the farms,” Topal said, “and the rest go back to corporations.”

Bingham is an example of this. “I come from a farm,” she said, “but I don’t see myself going back to one. …I see myself in a board room somewhere.”

The College of Agriculture is growing.

Topal said he anticipates the completion of an addition to the animal science building and a possible research grant worth about $100 million as part of the Fund for Rural America program.

“It’s hard not to be excited when you go to ISU because the agricultural department is so huge, and there are wonderful opportunities there,” Bingham said.