Students safer with cellular phones

Sara Ziegler

There are now new procedures of protection and prevention for victims of violence in Iowa.

United States Cellular is working with Iowa counties to establish a special Victims of Violence prevention program to supply cellular assistance for victims of violent abuse.

The Victims of Violence Program was recently created by United States Cellular in Washington County, Iowa. Victims of Violence is already active in Ames.

“This program is particularly beneficial since some victims of violent abuse may not even have a phone in their homes.

“When a violent situation arises, being in contact with law enforcement is the first key to safety for the victim,” Washington County Attorney Barbara Edmondson said.

With a push of a button, the United States Cellular phones connect callers to Washington Public Safety Center for immediate assistance. Applicants are required to fill out an official request for the program and those accepted will be taught how to properly use the specially programmed phones.

United States Cellular has a Victims of Violence program in Des Moines in conjunction with the Des Moines Police Department and maintains the program in Ames as well as Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Bettendorf, Ottumwa, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Osceola, Indianola, Perry, Red Oak, Manchester, Knoxville, Wapello, Mason City and Jefferson.

In Ames, individuals who need a direct line to the police can go to the Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support.

Cellular phones with two dialable numbers, one to the police and one to the shelter, are given out to victims of abuse and sexual assault.

“The phones are for people for whom safety is an issue,” Carolyn Weston, rural outreach director for the ACCESS, said.

United States Cellular activated the four available phones for ACCESS, all of which were donated by U.S. Cellular and other organizations, Weston said.

Weston also said people were making use of the service. “Most of our phones are always gone,” she said.

There are also several prevention and support programs available specifically to Iowa State students.

Suzanne Zilber, staff psychologist at Student Counseling Center, said BRAVE, an organization based in Des Moines, often brings workshops to Ames designed to teach awareness, prevention, action and positive motivation.

“BRAVE teaches students to understand and practice self-defense techniques and strategy as they commute, study and date,” she said.

Zilber has also developed a prevention workshop for men entitled “Believable Yes and Sexual Consent.”

There are several support groups available as well. These are offered at no charge to enrolled students.

“We have two support groups right now. One is for survivors of trauma, and one is for victims of sexual harassment,” Zilber said.

In the trauma survivor support group, “members will initially be given information on trauma and coping techniques to deal with the past,” she said.

“Later, the discussion will focus on how trauma affects current relationships, trust, self-esteem and safety,” she said.

Victims of violence at ISU can also receive free individual counseling.

The counseling “gives victims immediate help and teaches them how to prevent further victimization,” Zilber said.

The trauma support group meets on Thursdays from 3:10 p.m. to 4:40 p.m.

For more information about Student Counseling call 294-5056.

For information about the cellular assistance program call ACCESS at 232-5418 or the crises line at 1-800-203-3488.