Fines from illegal parking provide for better parking

Abby Snyder

Illegal parking on campus generated nearly $800,000 in fines last year.

Doug Houghton, manager of Department of Public Safety and program coordinator of DPS Parking Division, said students should realize the money received from parking tickets is used to fund enforcement and help try to improve parking and parking availability around campus.

The revenue last year from DPS parking fines and penalties was $790,000. Last year, 84,654 parking tickets were issued.

Compared to most of the Big 10 and Big 12 schools, ISU rates on the low side of the average in revenue from parking tickets per year.

Sgt. Randy Kessel, of the Ames Police Department, said as of June 30, 1997, the revenue from the City of Ames’ parking meters was $98,300.

In addition, other parking violations, such as alternate side parking, bring in $125,600.

The DPS newsletter “Safety and You” states that the primary functions of the parking division staff are to issue parking permits, answer questions pertaining to parking, assist with special parking needs on campus and enforce the rules and regulations outlined in the parking rules handbook.

“We try to make things run smoothly by making people park in the right places; however, by doing so, we are often referred to as the ‘Parking Nazis,'” Suzi Sorbo, student officer for DPS, said.

The parking violation occurring the most on campus is parking without an appropriate permit.

Parking illegally in a handicapped space is the most profitable violation. As of now, this ticket is $50. However, the state of Iowa is doubling this fine to $100.

Excluding the Memorial Union public parking ramp, there are not many places to park on central campus.

There is no parking without an appropriate permit between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

“Students shouldn’t be shocked and surprised to find a ticket on the windshield when they are fairly certain they will be ticketed,” Houghton said.

Houghton said Cy-Ride provides a wonderful service for ISU students by offering the orange route.

This route takes students to their cars parked at the football stadium between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.