African tribe topic of upcoming play

Archana Chandrupatla

Iowa State students do not have to go to Africa to see the Igbo tribe — they can stay right here in Ames.

The play “Things Fall Apart,” a famous African drama performed in celebration of Nigerian Independence Day, will be performed this weekend.

Written by Professor Chinua Achebe, one of Africa’s literary giants, it presents the lives and treasured traditions of the Igbo tribe of Nigeria.

“This play deals with West African Ibo culture, and it’s about the life of the warrior Okonkwo, who is the greatest and wealthiest warrior,” Ph.D. student Ronke Lattimore, who plays the character Ego, said. “But then something happens, and his whole life changes, hence the title.”

Due to the nature of the play, it tackles serious issues not typically seen. “Because of the nature of the play it’s a more serious drama,” Lattimore said.

“What makes the play serious is that it deals with several different issues that are present in society today,” said Donovan Tyler, a sophomore in performing arts and psychology. “For example, it deals with issues such as marriage, divorce and abuse, and those are serious issues.”

Although working with a cast of performers from ISU and the community, the play was challenging to put together, Tyler said.

“It’s interesting because my fellow cast member, Malik Moore, and myself were cast two weeks ago while everyone else began rehearsing last spring,” Tyler said.

What makes the play more challenging for Tyler is that he plays six roles.

“It’s hard to play six different characters, and [it’s] challenging to change roles each time because you have to keep rebuilding your mind, but it’s a great learning experience,” he said.

Working with cast members was also an enriching experience.

“I feel comfortable with my fellow cast members,” Lattimore said. “It was a totally new experience for me because I never had any acting experience. I was always behind the scenes in most plays — this was my first time in a more major role.”

“The director, Dr. Chii Ughanze-Onyeagocha, worked very well with us, especially those of us without experience, like myself, and made us more comfortable with what we were doing,” she said.

Tyler agreed.

“I’m probably the youngest cast member — most of the others are graduate students and much more mature,” he said. “But they still make me feel comfortable working with them. Even if I mess up, they are very nice about it and always give me positive feedback, never negative.”

The play and characters are enhanced by the interesting costumes.

“The director, Dr. Onyeagocha, is from Nigeria, and when she went home this past summer, she got our costumes,” Lattimore said. “So our costumes are actually directly from Nigeria, and they go really well with the roles we are trying to play.”

The set, while not elaborate, is also a compliment to the play. “A lot of what’s on the set has to do with the characters,” Tyler said.

“We don’t really have the financial means to make the set seem very elaborate and like a real African countryside,” he added. “But the image is brought to life in the expressions and actions of the characters and in the little differences between the play and a normal American setting.”

For example, these differences can be seen in the characters’ manner of speech and even in the food they portray eating in the play, Tyler said.

Overall, everyone is excited about the play.

“I feel really excited about it,” Lattimore said. “I think we will have a good turnout. I myself have handed out 500 flyers so far, and I know the other cast members have handed out many as well, so the word has gotten around.”

Tyler echoes her sentiment and has a great personal enthusiasm about the play.

“The play is a great learning experience for me,” he said. “Being African American, I got to learn a great deal about African culture by actually being a part of it.”

“Things Fall Apart,” sponsored by the African Students’ Organization and the Student Union Board, will debut this weekend. Performances will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at 8 p.m. in Curtiss Auditorium.