Student commits suicide in Friley

Sheila Collins

The Iowa State student who died after he jumped from a stairwell in Friley Hall on Aug. 6 was apparently suffering from severe depression, university officials said.

Yusutomo Suzuki, 20, an international student from Japan, died from severe head injuries and internal injuries he sustained from the fall from a fifth floor window at the residence hall.

Suzuki jumped from the window just one day before he was scheduled to fly back home to Japan, said Randy Alexander, director of residence.

He also said Suzuki had sought counseling for his depression while at Iowa State and had been hospitalized for it.

Suzuki, a resident of Friley Hall, was enrolled in the Intensive English Program. His roommate Christian Gunadirja, said Suzuki was sleeping a lot and skipping his classes.

“He was under a lot of stress because his major was English and he couldn’t speak English very well,” Gunadirja said.

Alexander said Suzuki, who was upset about his classes, apparently had passed his Intensive English Test the week before with a score of 503. A 500 was needed to pass the test.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of the Department of Public Safety, said due to the nature of the case, the death has been treated as a suicide.

DPS officials responded to a request for an ambulance at 8:21p.m. near the north wall of Friley Hall near the loading docks.

Suzuki was taken by air ambulance to Mercy Hospital in Des Moines where he was pronounced dead.

After the incident, Suzuki’s family visited the Iowa State campus, John McCarroll, director of university relations said.

Students who need help coping with their depression or stress should contact the Student Counseling Center on the third floor of the Student Services building, said Pat Anderson, a counselor for the center.

The Student Counseling Center offers ongoing individual counseling with a trained staff that can evaluate if the student needs medication for depression.

In a situation like Suzuki’s, Anderson said the center offers counseling for students who may be affected by his suicide.