Octagon offers alternative to boring classes

Heather Mcclure

Getting enrolled in classes of interest can be difficult, especially if there are less interesting prerequisites. However, the Octagon Center for the Arts is offering an alternative for those wanting to take interesting classes this semester.

Beginning in September, the Octagon, a non-profit organization, will be offering a variety of classes ranging from art to learning a foreign language to rug-hooking.

“These classes are especially good for students who may not want to take classes the whole semester,” Kathy Timmer, director of education, said.

Included in the classes offered is art appreciation, which will be instructed by former ISU professor Bill Zimmerman and will focus on the components of art.

“We will examine what makes art. We will also examine human characteristics and how they apply to art appreciation,” Zimmerman said. “We will look at art in its cultural context which it appears.”

Three ceramic sculpture classes will also be offered. They vary in skill and technique; some will use live models while others will work with the elements of clay.

Artist Jennifer Rezek, who has been teaching at the Octagon for two-and-a-half years, will be instructing a class in drawing and oil painting.

A nude model will be used for the class. Some of the activities students will participate in include “jestural drawings” which are quick drawings in order to give an impression of what the model is doing, Rezek said.

“There will be five to 10 minute studies of the model to help use the eyes, hands and mind rapidly,” Rezek said. “This will help [the students] see better. The two most important things for an artist is to see well and record well.”

“There will also be some long poses for proportion and pushing for self-expression,” she said.

This is a very “vigorous and committed class,” Reznick said. “Beginners are welcome, but this is no basket-weaving or clay ashtray-making class.”

Other classes offered are dance and theater.

Dance classes will include learning the art of yoga, beginning ballet, jazz and modern dance for children and a variety of dance classes for adults including belly dancing, Latin and ballroom dance and Scottish country dance.

A theater class will be taught by Cara Peterson, a senior in theater. Activities will depend upon how many people sign up for the class, Peterson said.

“There will be exercises in improv and role playing, and we will explore what the body, mind and voice can do,” she said.

Some class activities will be similar to those from a workshop Peterson attended which was hosted by ELAN, European Language Arts Network, a theater group from Wales.

“The class will not be performance-based, although there will be some theater aspects,” Peterson said.

“I don’t want anyone to be intimidated. Theater is a group effort, and I will encourage ensemble. It will be a good, non-threatening introduction to what is possible.”

Language classes will also be offered this semester. Classes in Japanese, Spanish and American Sign Language will be offered. Classes will be taught by qualified instructors.

Besides offering a variety of classes for all ages and levels, the Octagon has a shop which houses the works of over 100 artists. The staff also offers a student membership for $15 which allows 10 percent off the prices of classes and purchases in the shop.

For a full listing of the classes available this semester, contact the Octagon, 232-5531.