ISU diversity programs:

Shawntelle Madison

dedicated to student success

As new students enter Iowa State University, the environment comes as a change for some minority and international students.

ISU helps incoming students with the transition with its diversity programs.

Minority and international students who have been at Iowa State and who have adapted to campus, said they have not noticed the new or existing diversity programs.

Last year, ISU President Martin Jischke, submitted a list of some initiatives aimed at advancing diversity at Iowa State.

These ideas include the establishment of minority liaison officers in each college in 1995-96, the Diversity Steering Committee, and the Ph.D fellowship program recognizing ethnic minority doctoral students.

Mathew Kolawole, an African-American senior in mechanical engineering, said he feels Iowa State has not changed in any way after the new diversity programs.

“I have not really noticed any changes in the environment,” Kolawole said.

There are students, including Nicole Meek, an African-American senior in sociology, who feel diversity programs have been beneficial.

“I do feel that the new diversity programs have been beneficial to all Iowa State students,” Meek said. “[It’s] giving us minorities a chance to be informed more in depth about our history which is a great opportunity to bring forth unification on this campus.”

Freshmen experience Iowa State with naked eyes.

Some freshmen minority students find ISU welcoming, others find it a culture shock.

Kyra Hayes, an African-American freshman in education from Washington, D.C., said she found the campus intimidating by the large amount of non-minority students. Hayes said she enjoys attending the Early Success Program sponsored by Minority Student Affairs, which is helping her transition process.

“At first I thought it was all right,” Hayes said. “But I was intimidated by the whites. It was a culture shock to me.”

Kristina Richardson, an African-American freshman in psychology, said she found ISU to be comfortable and welcoming.

She said people have reached out to invite her to activities around campus.

“So far so good,” Richardson said. “I have not had any problems.”

Iowa State has many faculty and staff that work toward making the environment more welcoming for all new and present students.

Thomas Hill, vice president of student affairs, and Terri Houston, assistant dean of students, are some faculty hoping to help get those plans into action.

Hill said he currently does not have any programs or plans in the works.

He said he’s waiting to receive input from students as to how they currently feel about campus.

“I am feeling my way around. I am in the process of getting a feel for the situation,” Hill said.

“Maybe from there, with some ideas from some people we can start things. MSA is having a transition program in a week or so.”

Houston said at the Student Activities Center, she has noticed that more student organizations are doing more diversified programs.

“I work with clubs and organizations so that their activities are sensitized to enhance the cultural climate on campus. We work in the advising role,” Houston said.

“Their role is to heighten awareness to push the organization to do more diversity awareness activities,” she said.

Houston said student organizations are taking steps to make the campus more culturally aware.

Along with new programs, Houston said, there are also proposed minority leadership retreats in the works.

She said Vanessa Ward with Minority Cultural Action Group and MSA are looking to sponsor minority retreats.

Houston added that the Ames Bond program, which is targeted to all first-year students, encourages Ames residents to open their home to first-year students.

In particular minority students.

The Ames Bond program and the Early Success Program are only some of the many programs MSA sponsors.

There is the Dialog on Diversity Program coordinated by Sharon Drake at Training and Development, and the Counseling Center also offers a program.

One only has to take the effort to get involved.

The City of Ames’ role in making ISU and Ames a more culturally friendly place was also a concern last year.

Some important Ames residents including the Mayor of Ames, and several university officials including Murray Blackwelder, the vice president of external affairs formed a committee with this goal in mind.

The committee started meeting last spring, and came up with ideas including trying to acquire Black Entertainment Television on cable, and increasing the amount of products and facilities that minority and international citizens would find more appealing.