Saying hello to those we don’t know

Sheila Collins

Have you ever noticed you can know so many people and never really KNOW them?

It’s amazing how many people I’ve talked to feel the same way I do about this subject.

I pass a lot of people I’ve seen several times before in the halls, walking on campus and even in class. However, aside from the occasional hello, we never get to know each other on a more personal basis.

I know that in my case, because I live off campus, it seems as if it’s more difficult to meet people on a one-on-one basis.

It seems like when you live in residence halls or in fraternity or sorority houses, you have more chances to get to know people or make new friends.

There are certain people I tend to hang out with because we are similar in a lot of ways.

Most of my friends live off campus like I do and many of them are in relationships similar to mine. So I think I am as guilty as anyone of nestling myself in the security blanket of old friends and not trying very hard to make new ones.

I have often thought that if I had chosen to live on campus or in a different living arrangement, would I have met a more diverse group of people?

I don’t know, and I can make excuses as much as I like — it won’t change anything.

It seems as if we are always afraid to meet new people or those who might be different from ourselves. It’s like we all get set in our ways and don’t want to broaden ourselves.

We see people on a daily or weekly basis but do we ever stop and get to know them?

How often do we talk to someone in our classes everyday and never do anything with them outside of school?

It takes a lot of courage to ask someone to be your friend, whether you’re a man or a woman.

Isn’t it strange that we are still so afraid of what people might think of us even though we are all supposed to be adults now?

Sometimes I feel as though I’m still in some big popularity contest — if you aren’t “in ” from the beginning, you will never be “in.”

I came from a two-year community college, so I sometimes feel like I came to ISU in the middle of something and never quite found my niche.

At times it still feels like I’m the new girl nobody really knows.

When I got to Iowa State I had a really naive view of college life. My community college was fairly small and everyone pretty much knew each other.

When I came here I started out smiling at everyone and saying hi to complete strangers, but it didn’t take long before I adopted the ISU stare.

You know the one I’m talking about —the one in which you stare at the sidewalk or your feet and go about your business as if you were the only one on campus.

Wouldn’t it be nice if, when you said hi to someone, they actually said hi back?

Or if instead of a cold stare you got a smile?

This is a beautiful campus with a lot of interesting people; couldn’t we all act a little happier to be here?

I know as well as anyone that we all have those days when we wish we could sleep all day and not talk to anyone. However, I’ve also noticed how much a smile or a hello can make a terrible day a little better.

Next time you’re walking down the street or into class and you see a person who looks a little down or lonely, say “hello.” I’m sure you’re feet don’t need 24- hour supervision.

And if you talk to a person in class and think they’re pretty cool, ask them if they want to get together for coffee or something sometime; God forbid you might make a new friend.

As for me, I plan to make my final year at ISU better than the ones in the past.

I will try hard to get rid of “the stare” and if I see you on the street, I promise I’ll try to say hi or smile.

I just hope other people will try this new technique and make this town a little friendlier.

Sheila Collins is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Council Bluffs.