Alcohol is not just a greek problem

Zuri Jerdon

Recently, the Iowa State campus has been again buzzing with the debate surrounding the greek system.

As in the past, individuals are on both sides of the fence, comparing the benefits of having such a vast greek system at Iowa State, as opposed to, I suppose, none at all.

There is little dispute over the benefits of fraternities and sororities. Most students and faculty are quite aware of the philanthropy the entire greek system provides to worthy causes, especially children. Rarely is such community concern practiced, unless it is required, or connected to a scholarship of some sort.

However, the issue does seem to center around the intense form of partying many greek students engage in — partying that can be destructive, as well as life-threatening.

Human beings have a need for grouping, as well as belonging. It is only natural for individuals to look for groups in which to belong.

For many students, the greek system offers an initiation into a new social arrangement — an arrangement that will provide the same unconditional acceptance and understanding they received at home.

Of course, this sort of relationship is suspect to some observers, as it is based solely upon arbitrary criteria discovered during RUSH functions, for the most part, and not on any sort of foundation that was created over time.

Drinking is considered commonplace among fraternity and sorority members. However, the logic that associates drinking and partying strictly with the greek system is flawed.

Most college students engage in some form of partying and drinking. The fact that fraternities and sororities appear to do it more than other groups is directly related to the disparity in resources available to greek students and non-greek students.

With the amount of inviduals and money on hand in the greek system, as well as the capacity of their dwellings, it should not be a shock that drinking and partying is raised to such an extreme level.

There is also a sense of community that develops when individuals party together. Many college and professional athletic teams drink together as a form of bonding. People in the military can often be seen out on a drunken binge, bringing their unit closer together.

In terms of alcohol, the blame must not be placed solely on the individuals associated with the greek system.

By definition, Iowa State is a party school. Many of the students drink, and many of these students are not affiliated with the greek system in any way. They may occasionally crash a fraternity party, but that is not evidence that the greek system encourages these individuals to drink.

To many students, the Iowa State greek system represents a monopoly. Many Veishea and homecoming-related events are selected by committees that are said to be largely partial to greeks.

If all students are to be treated fairly, such preference should not be allowed to continue.

The issue of the existence of the greek system should not be a fundamental concern. Just like the Hockey Club, or the Tae Kwon Do Club, the fraternities and sororities have an opportunity to exist, and function, without issue.

However, fraternities and sororities do not have the right to monopolize or control any school-related functions at Iowa State. School functions are open to all students, and all students should have an opportunity to participate in those functions.

Iowa State has a responsibility to maintain equity as the cornerstone of its educational institution.

At the same time, Iowa State must address the issue of alcohol on the campus in general.

To assign blame to any one group, whether it be the greek system, or any other society, will only detract from the real issue at hand — the level of dangerous drinking that occurs in Ames much of the time.

Zuri Jerdon is a senior in English from Cincinnati.