Romy and Michele too predictable

Sarah Wolf

I guess Hollywood types are getting nostalgic. What else would explain their recent fascination with the ’80s and the resurrection of the high school flick?

At least the old John Hughes staple has been revamped a bit: Instead of casting a ’90s version of Molly Ringwald in a movie about being popular and going to prom, these filmmakers are putting together high school reunion stories so that everyone, even those who don’t remember Madonna before she was a bodybuilder, can look back on big bangs and purple lipstick with fond memories.

Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, by virtue of its very title, obviously falls into this category. But unlike the recent Grosse Pointe Blank, another reunion flick with a twist that was given the rank of “sheer tastiness” by yours truly, Romy and Michele just doesn’t make the grade.

Instead of a unique plot that takes us places we never thought we’d go, Romy and Michele never gets out of the driveway.

The plot: Romy (Mira Sorvino) and Michele (Lisa Kudrow) are two avant-garde fashion mavens who live in Los Angeles. Their 10-year high school reunion is approaching quickly, so they decide (after exhausting the seven brain cells between them) that they have to get boyfriends, lose weight and make up stories about their “exciting” jobs to impress their old high school classmates, who basically thought the two were freaks back in the day.

Okay. So I don’t even have to tell you that they each meet up with old crushes, an acned nerd and a muscular jock, and they also run into members of the “A-group,” whose highest aspirations 10 years ago were to be TV anchorwomen.

That revealed, anyone who has ever seen a high school-reunion episode of “Who’s the Boss?” can spell out the rest of the plot with remarkable accuracy. Romy and Michele is that predictable, and it is written that poorly .

It makes you think Kudrow should’ve just stuck with the decent writing on “Friends” and never ventured off the small screen. Didn’t she learn from the embarrassments of her co-stars’ movie flops? Ed, the movie. ‘Nuff said.

I must add, though, that the movie is not without its moments. Kudrow is, after all, one of the reasons we all tune in to NBC on Thursday nights, and she basically plays Phoebe all over again, except with louder makeup. And Sorvino, too, is endearing, if a little fluffy and shallow. But wasn’t that what the ’80s were all about?

Plus, the humor is, at times, hysterical. Aside from a very bizarre dream sequence, there is a magnificently choreographed spotlight dance at the reunion that comes close to making up for the tired plot.

And I even might spend my hard-earned cash on the soundtrack, if only to take the occasional trip down memory lane. With the Go-Go’s and Naked Eyes being cool again, I might be able to forget about the negative aspects of the ’80s, Ronald Reagan not being the least of them.

But I draw the line at Ferris Bueller’s High School Reunion. It might send me over the edge.