Students take to streets to Take Back the Night

Sara Ziegler

As the sun set on the Campanile, women banded together in an attempt to reclaim their right to safety at the Take Back the Night rally.

Wednesday night, about 350 women — and 50 men — gathered in the shadow of the Campanile to listen to speeches and poetry about the crime Julie Wooden, co-chairwoman of the event, said will affect one in four college women: rape.

“Women have a right to be safe,” Wooden said.

The crowd turned somber and listened attentively to the eight speakers.

Sarah Brown, a junior in English, delivered a speech about her experience as a victim of what she said is rape, but her assailant was convicted of assault.

Brown had gone out drinking with friends from work one night during the summer after her freshman year. Her attacker had just graduated from Iowa State and had invited her to spend the night at his house because she was too intoxicated to drive.

“I asked for a pillow and got a kiss,” she said.

After four months of suffering from chronic nightmares and “horrific and vivid” flashbacks, Brown went to the police, she said. Her attacker served 10 days for assault, but she said she considers herself lucky to have won even that small a victory in light of the thousands of perpetrators that go unconvicted.

“Minute by minute, day by day, I got control of my future,” she said. “We’re here now to make sure this stops, so more women don’t have to suffer.”

Jacquelyn Litt, a professor of sociology and women’s studies, spoke about the culture women are exposed to in college because of the prevalence of sexual assault. Women, she said, are forced to use buddy systems at parties, walk together in groups and take care of one another.

“I know a woman who blamed herself when a friend was raped because she should’ve taken care of her. We are still being raped and assaulted, and we’re still blaming ourselves,” Litt said. “Women don’t ask to be raped.”

Litt also emphasized the need for real institutional and legal change in order for any progress to be made. “The university needs to evaluate protection, increase awareness and provide services for the entire university. Leaders on campus also must speak out against these crimes.”

The rally also included several poetry selections dealing with sexual assault.

The topics of the poems ranged from domestic abuse to fear of the night, from child molestation to depression. The message in each of the selections was the same: Violence must end.

Men also had a role at the rally. Bob Goodfriend, a representative of Men Against Rape and Sexism, said men must take responsibility “even if they’ve never lifted a hand against a woman.”

“Men don’t have to look under their cars, walk in groups or worry about drinking too much. That’s not fair,” he said.

Dan Beaver-Seitz, a freshman in liberal arts, said he came to the rally because he’s concerned about violence against women. He said he wanted to send a message that “all humans should be afforded the right to be safe.” He said he also came in honor of a friend who had been assaulted.

Allison Hakes, a junior in biology, volunteers at ACCESS, an assault care center for women. “We need to take a stand against rape,” she said.

As the participants ended the night with a candlelight march through Campustown, the mood turned hopeful and almost festive. The piercing cadence of the ISU Drum Line drew the attention of onlookers while the march stopped traffic on Lincoln Way.

All the while, their chants displayed the goal of the participants: “Women Unite! Take Back the Night!”