ISU officials: Serial rapist isn’t yet cause for alarm

Holly Benton

Though female Iowa State students should be aware of a possible serial rapist who targets college women on Midwest campuses, ISU officials say there isn’t yet cause for alarm.

Iowa State Department of Public Safety Director Loras Jaeger said there’s no way of knowing whether the rapist, who investigators believe has attacked women on campuses in Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa, will make his way to Ames. “We hope it doesn’t come here, but if it does, we hope we can get it resolved very quickly.”

Jaeger said that using “basic common sense” is the best way for women to protect themselves from potential attackers. Traveling in well-lighted areas, traveling in groups and walking assertively are good ways to deter attackers, and “if you’re comfortable carrying mace, do so,” he said.

Many women on campuses have heard the news reports of the rapist.

Ellery Petersen, a freshman in dietetics, said she is more worried at night because of Uri Sellers’ murder on Sunday than the rapist.

“On Sunday night, I had to take my car back to the stadium and it was kind of scary. I’m just kind of watching around right now,” she said. “For the most part, no, I don’t worry about it [rape].”

Tina Nelson, a senior in psychology, said that after hearing about the serial rapist, she’s more self-conscious at night. “Yeah, that totally affects the way I go around campus. I still don’t think there’s effective lighting on campus,” she said.

Lynette Hornung, sexual assault awareness coordinator at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, said ISU is generally a safe campus. She said factors like well-lighted walking areas, emergency phones, an active student security force and DPS, make the campus a fairly safe place for women.

However, Hornung said, “It’s unfortunate when something like this happens. It is symptomatic of women having to study alone on campus, and it sends another signal to women that we aren’t safe.”

She said the university has several ongoing prevention programs to educate students about safety issues. The recent Take Back The Night Rally, held last Wednesday, is one example.

While education is helpful, Hornung said, it is up to women to be watchful. “To a certain extent, it’s up to the individual to stay aware,” she said, adding that women should use their best judgment and common sense.

Hornung said she has not yet received any calls from students who are worried about the attacker.