Gettin’ down to business

Ashley Hassebroek

Editor’s note: the following profile is part of a series of stories recognizing faculty and staff nominated by readers for outstanding performances.

Why Kim Sharp is well-liked among his business students is not a mystery. With a positive attitude toward his classes and a personable attitude toward his students, Sharp knows how to make even the most dreaded class lots of fun.

Whether it’s a trip to Dairy Queen, a delivery from Pizza Hut or just a really exciting approach to a not-so-exciting topic, Sharp’s curriculum is far from that of the typical business class.

Sharp began teaching at Iowa State 25 years ago after three years at Brigham Young University. With a Ph.D. in economics and statistics, Sharp came to Iowa State well equipped to teach many different types of courses. Since then, he has taught classes in the College of Engineering, the College of Veterinary Medicine and the College of Business as well as teaching economics courses. Because of his wide background, Sharp has had the opportunity to teach classes ranging from Veterinary Practice Management to Engineering Marketing.

In the classroom, Sharp said he makes the interests of the students a first priority. One of the things he said he loves about teaching is when he is able to find a student who is not excited about anything and bring him to the level at which he loves what he is doing.

“When there is a topic that kids aren’t excited about, it’s always a challenge to make it fun,” Sharp said.

Strategic Management, a 400-level class taught by Sharp, is considered one of the toughest classes in the College of Business and is, therefore, one of the most dreaded. Sharp knows he’s a hard teacher, but said he doesn’t believe there is any reward in an easy class.

“Because I teach tough classes, I get lots out of my students,” Sharp said. “If they let me push them, I’ll push them forever.”

Yu Chang, a junior in accounting, said she appreciates her professor’s teaching methods.

“He uses step-by-step teaching methods, so that we can understand things very clearly,” Chang said. “He always explains things very clearly.”

In addition to his office hours, Sharp spends five to six hours a week in help sessions for students. When exam time comes around, Sharp provides an extra exam schedule for the students who have a problem with the proposed exam time. Four or five help sessions are available before each exam and always are scheduled at the convenience of the students.

“He always asks when the students are available,” Chang said. “He is very eager to teach, and is very flexible.”

Sharp said he believes that students and teachers should have good relationships, because without that relationship, the student has a more difficult time learning.

“The professor and the student should always see their relationship as that of a team,” Sharp said.

As the owner of many other local businesses, Sharp “practices what he teaches” on a daily basis, he said. He said he enjoys helping others and has helped numerous businesses find practical solutions to their problems.