Finding time for it all

Teresa Haberer

Several student-mothers joined a YWCA discussion Wednesday to talk about the challenges of juggling motherhood and schoolwork, and the need for a support group for student-mothers at Iowa State.

About 10 women were present at the YWCA-sponsored program “On Being a Mother and a Student.” All contributed a bit of their personal experiences and discussed why some type of student support group is needed.

“There are always challenges that come along with raising children; I love it, and it drives me crazy,” said Lynn Lundy, a senior in marketing and program coordinator for the YWCA. Lundy is the mother of two teenagers.

“Sometimes I wonder, who’s raising me?” Lundy said.

Lundy said a support group is especially important for student-mothers who do not know many people in the community. “We need a family of people who can get to know each other,” she said.

Monique Green, a sophomore in family and consumer sciences, is the mother of a three-year-old. “My husband will be leaving next year to become an officer in the Marine Corps, and I’ll be alone,” she said. “I would love a support group. Right now, I need one.”

Green said she has been under additional stress since her daughter became ill with pneumonia and had to have her tonsils removed, all this past semester.

Mother and English major Jeanne Higgs said she can become frustrated when she hears underwhelmed classmates complain about class work.

“In addition to having a child and going to school I have two different jobs, so it’s irritating to hear some students continuously complain that they just have no time to do the work,” Higgs said.

Lack of available time also prevents many student-mothers from enjoying social activities like they used to. “My daughter is a blessing,” said journalism major Yanira Pacheco, “but I’m still young and I have no time to party or just hang out anymore.”

Lack of affordable day care can be another added stress for student-parents. “We have trouble finding enough money to pay rent, let alone pay for day care,” Green said.

Higgs said although day care is expensive, “day care providers often aren’t paid fair wages. They’re often paid the same wage as someone who works at McDonald’s.”