Don’t fence them in

Teresa Haberer

Though spring has definitely arrived, the winter fences that block sections of campus and keep Lake Laverne’s two swans confined are still around, but they’ll be down before Veishea weekend.

The fences that keep Iowa State’s swans, Lancelot and Elaine, from roaming the campus are of special concern this year, said George Knaphus, adviser for the Liberal Arts and Sciences Council and is in charge of the swans.

“Right now, we are undecided about whether the swans will be released at all,” Knaphus said. “If we do let them out, it will be for Veishea weekend, so all the people can see them out.”

Knaphus said the concern about releasing the swans has to do with the strong territorial instincts of the male swan, Sir Lancelot.

“He thinks he owns all of Iowa State, and if some little kid wants to pet the pretty swan, he’ll give him a tweak he’ll remember for the rest of his life,” he said.

Bill Larson, supervisor of the Agricultural Research Station, said he feeds the swans everyday. He said he agrees that the swans are becoming aggressive.

“When we walk up to the feeder, they just peck at us and flap their wings. They have become very protective of their territory,” Larson said.

Another reason for continued confinement, Knaphus said, is that the swans will be nesting in about two years.

He said the swans may instinctively start to practice building nests this year, and officials want the swans to get used to the idea of nesting on the island in Lake Laverne.

The swans have also been known to get into trouble with cars, Knaphus said.

“Last year public safety had to get one of the swan’s out from under a car on Lincoln Way. On another occasion, a guy had to stop his car in the middle of the road and just wait after a swan crawled underneath it,” he explained.

In addition, the snow fences that block areas of campus will not be coming down until a few days before Veishea.

The reason for the fences is simply to keep people from walking on the grass and killing it, said Les Lawson, supervisor of plant services for Facilities and Planning Management.

“Right now it’s really easy for the grass to be killed when students cut across a certain area over and over,” Lawson said.

“So we want to keep those fences up as long as possible, until Veishea.”