Not just fun and games

Josh Hart

With table tennis paddles in hand and smiles on their faces, Minjie Dai and Ji Li are set to storm into Atlanta, Ga. for the International Table Tennis Tournament.

Dai, a graduate student in chemistry, and Li, a graduate student in animal science, qualified for the tournament by winning both singles and mixed doubles events in the Regional Tournament held in Ames in March.

Both students practice several times a week to prepare for the upcoming competition.

Dai and Li, both originally from China, came to Iowa State last summer. They have competed in table tennis tournaments in China, but this tournament is their first in the United States.

“This is my first tournament [in the U. S.], so I feel good about it,” Li said.

Because it is their first tournament in the United States, Dai and Li don’t know what to expect for the level of competition in Atlanta.

“Of course my goal is to medal, but I don’t know what the competition level is,” Li said.

Dai said he is confident with his playing talent, and he, too, wants to earn medals.

“I think my chances are pretty good. I have a good chance to get in the top four, or at least the top eight,” Dai said.

Dai and Li have qualified in three events for the tournament. Li will compete in the women’s singles and Dai in the men’s singles. They also will play mixed doubles.

The International Table Tennis Tournament, which is sponsored by the Association of College Unions International, will be held on April 25 and 26. The ISU Student Union Board sponsors the ISU team.

“I am really looking forward to it. I’ve told all my friends I’m going to Atlanta!” Li said.