Senate: You’re fired

Carmen Cerra

I read in the Daily about how little money there is in the Discretionary Fund — oh wait — there’s NO money in the fund? The latest article tells us that Todd Swanson (director of finance) said questions arose about the ‘fund’s wealth’ after the Senate passed a bill funding the educational computing club. Now let me get this straight Mr. Swanson: Is it that you do not inform the Senate on how much money it has until it asks you? Is it that you and/or the Senate cannot do math? Is it that somewhere in the long run you planned on raising student fees perhaps?

Just to mention this: I was the same person who wrote to the Daily reprimanding the Senate for funding a Religious group (which took over $2,000 from this very Discretionary Fund). I prohibited the Senate from passing anymore such bills (granted it was a symbolic gesture which I know many students support). I am here to say (and I urge other students to do the same) that I now DO NOT give permission to the Senate to raise student fees or acquire lost “debt” money via the student body in any way. The incompetence of the Senate zeroed out the Discretionary Fund — the Senate should pay for its mistake. And Mr Swanson, you’re fired. I’m glad I didn’t vote for you as GSB president. The only person who is doing a good job here (that the Daily has reported anyway) is John Hamilton. He cautioned the Senate on how much funding it was giving. He doesn’t support raising student fees. He and Mark Nimmer knew when the funding would run out and were both right. They should be applauded for such foresight. I hope one of them will be finance director next year.

Okay, that’s all the bitching you’ll hear from me. Oh, one more thing: The Senate is fired too.

Thank you again.

P.S. Ask a religious group for some money. They have lots.

Carmen Cerra

Senior

Biological/Pre-Medical

Illustration