Spring enrollment is up slightly

Erin Walter

There are a few more students at Iowa State to enjoy spring fever this semester than in past years.

According to an enrollment report that will be presented at the state Board of Regents meeting today in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union, ISU’s spring enrollment of 23,105 students is the highest it’s been since spring 1994, when there were 23,206 students enrolled.

Spring enrollment figures are typically lower than those in the fall. ISU’s fall 1996 enrollment was 24,899 students.

ISU’s spring enrollment growth of 1.5 percent, 352 students, is just above the average 1.4 percent increase at all three regents universities. Spring enrollment at the University of Iowa, ISU and the University of Northern Iowa totaled 61,143 students, 840 more students than spring 1996.

David Bousquet, ISU’s assistant vice president for enrollment, said the increase partially can be credited to a 1 percent enrollment increase in the fall.

A step up in retention efforts has also contributed to the increase, Bousquet said.

“A little bit here, and a little bit there; then we’re talking about real numbers,” Bousquet said.

Enrollment at U of I increased 1 percent over spring 1996 with an additional 248 students, bringing its total enrollment to 26,026. UNI enrollment increased to 12,012, a 2 percent growth of 240 students over spring 1996.

ISU non-resident, or out-of-state, undergraduate enrollment remained constant at 23 percent while non-resident graduate and professional student enrollments increased slightly. Off-campus enrollments continue to grow at all three regents universities.

In other news

* Regents will consider a 4 percent increase in residence hall rates for the 1997-98 school year.

The increase, to be voted on in April, would raise rates for double occupancy rooms with 20 meals a week from $3,508 to $3,647 a year.

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, said the proposed increase is moderate. Additional funds raised will be used “primarily for inflationary costs and to address facility needs,” Anderson said.

* Opera singer and Centerville native, Simon Estes, may soon be an honorary Cyclone.

Today, regents will vote on the degree, a doctor of humane letters, for Estes. Estes is being honored for his achievements in operatic music, contributions to disadvantaged children and philanthropy activities.