Blood’s flowing in the Union

Jill Hawkins

The Great Hall of the Memorial Union is buzzing with hundreds of Iowa State students who are “recycling life.”

“Recycle Life,” the annual spring blood drive, kicked off on Monday.

“Things are running smoothly,” said Jen Goldsmith, blood drive co-chairwoman. “We have both a steady pace of donors and a steady pace of volunteers.”

Nearly 700 students gave blood during the first two days of the blood drive.

Donors are received on a walk-in basis. The donation process takes about an hour, but it may take longer in the afternoon since many students stop by after they are finished with classes. One pint of blood is drawn from each of the donors.

“It takes about five hours to replace the fluids lost in the donation,” said Lori Sporrer, donor recruitment representative from the American Red Cross in Omaha. “There are 10 to 12 pints of blood in the body, and it takes five to six weeks to replace a pint of blood that is taken during the donation.”

When students walk into the Great Hall, Blood Drive Committee members send them to a “city,” or donation center. The locations are called cities because five blood centers in Iowa and one center in Omaha have workers who will receive blood from the drive. Representatives from each center are present on different days of the week.

After being screened, students sit in donating chairs while their blood is drawn. It takes about eight minutes to draw a pint of blood.

Steve Sokol, a first-time donor, said he encourages those who have never donated to give it a try.

“Do it because it’s for a good cause,” Sokol said. “It doesn’t take very long and it only hurts for a second.”

Students are then escorted to the canteens where they drink water and juice and eat cookies. After donating blood, students are advised not to lift any heavy objects for a few hours and to drink extra fluids — but not alcohol.

Door prizes are one incentive for donating.

“When I give blood I feel that I’m directly saving someone’s life,” said Emily Barnes, a three-time donor.

“This is my first time donating at Iowa State and I did it because I wanted to but it also was fun to give with the girls from my house.”

Students can donate anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. today and Thursday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.