Students may go home, use break for jobs

Zuri Jerdon

Despite spring break’s traditional role as a time for students to party and blow off some academic steam, some students see it as a time to catch up on overdue projects and make connections for the future.

For Dina Ernsdorff, a senior in accounting, spring break represents the first chance in a long time to relax, and more importantly, regroup.

“I am an accounting major so I spend most of my time in the library,” Ernsdorff said. “But I also work in a law firm, which means my time is very limited.”

Ernsdorff said she is going home to narrow her list of law school choices and begin preparing for the LSAT test. “Most importantly, though, I get to see my family. I haven’t done that in a long time. It’s funny, because two years ago, I would be off to Padre with my friends. Now I just don’t have time, and that’s all right with me. Some things are more important,” she said.

Joe Irwin, a junior in journalism and English, said he is looking forward to spring break as an opportunity to catch up on what he considers the important things in life. “I am planning on relaxing at home, spending some time with my family and catching up on some of my creative writing projects,” he said.

Some students are hoping to earn a little extra money.

Carmen Koelbl, a junior in political science, works at a telemarketing firm that stays open during the break.

“My firm is not on campus, so we are open even if ISU is closed. I wouldn’t mind working anyway. I went to Mardi Gras a few weeks back, so I already had my fun,” she said.

Other students say break is a time to career hunt.

Erin Inselberger, a senior in English, is preparing a trip to New York City for a job interview. “I wasn’t planning on doing much over break, but since I got a call from a consulting firm, I decided to go to New York City to interview,” Inselberger said.

And while most students are away at tropical locations or home, the city of Ames will stay on pace, including work at local businesses.

Dave Coe, owner of Coe’s Campus Flowers, said business runs as usual for his store, despite spring break. “We still have our local business to take care of. Students aren’t are only business,” Coe said.