Mack and White charged with first degree robbery

Reed Landberg

The following is part of a series of historical articles that appeared in Iowa State’s student newspaper. This story, which appeared in the April 3, 1989 issue of the Iowa State Daily, is about Sam Mack, an ISU basketball player, and Levin White, an ISU football player, who were charged with robbing the Burger King at 209 Lincoln Way. White pleaded guilty to first degree robbery. Mack was found not guilty.

The future is uncertain for Iowa State athletes Sam Mack, S & H 1, and Levin White, P E 3. Mack and White were wounded by Ames police following a Thursday night robbery attempt at Burger King, 209 Lincoln Way.

Both Mack and White have been charged with first degree robbery, which carries a maximum prison term of 25 years. Sgt. Craig Reid of the Ames police said more charges may be filed after the investigation is complete.

Reid said during the holdup, the two students herded employees into a walk-in freezer, which could be filed as kidnapping.

The shooting occurred when White, who was carrying a semi-automatic, .22-caliber rifle, and Mack, who had a knife, were shot by Ames police when they emerged from Burger King.

White and Mack reportedly entered Burger King through a side door and announced a robbery just before 11 p.m. Amy Konek, an employee of Burger King, crawled out of the drive-up window and ran to the Ames police station to alert police to the holdup.

“Initially, three uniformed officers responded,” Reid said. One officer, who was not involved in the shooting, covered the west exit. The other two stood near the east exit.

When Mack and White came out of the restaurant, the two were ordered by officers to drop their weapons, Reid said. White allegedly aimed the gun toward officers. Mack turned to reenter the store, Reid said.

“This meets the criteria, in both cases, for the use of deadly force. Officers were under immediate peril, which they were from the rifle, and civilians would be under peril if a person reentered the store and created a hostage situation,” Reid said.

White, a defensive back on the ISU football team, sustained wounds in the foot. Mack, a starting forward for the basketball team, was shot in the hip and thigh. The officers used .38 caliber city-issue ammunition, Reid said.

No employees of Burger King or police officers were hurt in the shooting. Mack and White were transported to Mary Greeley Medical Center where they were listed in satisfactory condition yesterday. Officials at Mary Greeley would not say when either would be released.

Reid could not cite a motive for the crime. Neither White nor Mack seemed to be under the influence of drugs at the time, Reid said.

“I think the officers did an outstanding job,” Reid said. “They met the criteria for the use of deadly force; they didn’t have any choice in the matter. If they had let them go back inside, (police) would have a hostage situation. If they had let the man fire, they’d be dead.”

Reid said that the Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI) will be investigating the incident. “It’s a lot easier for someone from an outside agency to remain objective,” he said. The DCI probably will release a report this week, Reid said.