Students take the globe by Storms

Jill Hawkins

The Storms Hall residence staff is hoping Iowa State students will learn more about people from other countries and cultures.

They are coordinating events for “Global Awareness Week 1997,” which runs through Friday, Feb. 14.

The week began on Monday with each floor in Storms Hall displaying information and serving treats from countries where ISU has study abroad programs.

Bulletin boards on Storms’ ten floors displayed information about Mexico, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Europe, the Philippines, England, South Korea, Scotland and Australia.

In addition, culture kits from the ISU Study Abroad Center provided other artifacts.

Karla Thoennes, Storms Hall director, said Monday’s activities went really well.

“We had a quiz that encouraged people to visit each floor and about 25 people participated in it,” she said.

BaFa-BaFa, an interactive game about cultures, was played in the Knapp-Storms Commons on Tuesday night.

The players were divided into two groups with cultural differences. During the game, the players found out first hand how easy it is to make assumptions about other cultures when you know little about them.

Tonight the Knapp-Storms Commons will be the site of another game, the Dating Game — International Style.

T.J. Fletcher, a resident assistant for Boyd House, said, “Instead of having a panel of international students answer questions, we decided to use the ‘Dating Game’ format to help students learn more about cultures.”

A variety of questions for the game has been prepared by the international students in Storms Hall.

A player will ask one of the questions to an international student, then that student will better explain the question.

Sage House will bring “Global Awareness Week 1997” to a close on Friday.

The Rhythm of the Nations Dance will be held from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. on the eighth floor of Storms Hall.

Students are asked to bring their own music to the dance in order to provide dancers with music from many different cultures.