Greeks go on-line

Kim Nelson

Greek Zone, a website solely dedicated to fraternities and sororities across the nation, will make its way to the Internet on March 1.

Greek Zone is “the fraternity and sorority Supersight,” said Greek Zone founder Mark Hirsch. The sight will provide information on all greek letter organizations, including social, service, technical and honorary groups, he said.

Hirsch said the goal was to make the Greek Zone “the most comprehensive website” available. The content of the sight will change daily, and much of the news will come directly from campus newspapers and the Associated Press, although students, faculty and alumni are being encouraged to provide news and photos directly to the Greek Zone, Hirsch said.

“The purpose of the site is to provide an entertaining on-line resource that deserves repeat traffic,” he said. “We expect real enthusiasm for the information we’ve compiled and licensed.”

The director of public relations for Panhellenic Council at ISU, Jennifer Gracey, said she had not heard of the Greek Zone but said “there are a lot of other pages dedicated to the Greeks.”

“There might be a point when there are too many,” she said.

Gracey said many fraternities and sororities at ISU have their own web pages.

“About six or seven sororities are on-line and between 20 and 30 fraternities are,” she said.

Gracey, a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, said she thought interest in the Greek Zone website could go either way among ISU students.

“Many other sights probably have basically the same thing, but some people might find the Greek Zone interesting and check it out every time they are on-line,” she said.

Michelle Moseman, a junior in computer science, built the current web page for Delta Zeta sorority. A member of Delta Zeta, Moseman said Greek Zone will not only link all of the greek web pages that currently exist, but houses that may not already have a web page will soon get one through the new system.

Also, websites are a good way to learn about things, Gracey said. Many people ask questions on-line and get responses from students all over the country.

Gracey said she is on-line a lot and will probably check the new site out to see if she will benefit from i. Some chapters may be able to use their new sites to announce various greek activities.

“The guys can do a lot of rushing, so it will be good for their publicity,” Moseman said.

Farmhouse Fraternity member Brian Hagen said he is on-line “a fair amount,” of time, but he said he’s not that excited to check the Greek Zone out.

“It doesn’t even interest me,” he said.

Moseman, however, hopes that the new web sites will be able to remove any stereotype barriers that may exist between greek members and non-greek members.

“There is a lot more to the greek system than a lot of people realize,” Moseman said.

“Non-greeks can get a better feeling to what the greek system is all about. It promotes more of the positive aspects within the greek system,” she added.

Site Effects, a website development and management company who will continually update the site with new design features and technologies, has designed Greek Zone and will manage it, according to a press release.

The Greek Zone website is http://www.greekzone.com.