Instructor yanks his syllabus after column

Kim Nelson

An instructor for an introductory English course has thrown out his syllabus after its contents came into question in an opinion column in the Iowa State Daily.

The English 105 instructor, Daniel Myers, said he won’t be using the syllabus again and plans to change the contents of future syllabi. Myers, however, said he stands behind the language used in the syllabus.

“I came off sounding nothing like I am. That is not the attitude that I want to represent.”

In the syllabus, Myers says students should expect a ‘C’ because that is the quality of work that normal freshmen turn in. If a student is dissatisfied with a ‘C,’ Myers said he is willing to work with him or her. He sets aside a three-hour block on Wednesday nights for students to come in for extra help, and he meets with students during the day.

Myers’ syllabus also discussed the quality of advanced-placement courses. It says: “Everything your high school AP teacher taught you was bullshit.”

Myers, a graduate student, said he meant to be humorous, but he has since changed the wording from “bullshit” to “backwards,” and has apologized to his students.

“I don’t condone putting down high school teachers,” he said. “[I] certainly don’t think I know everything.”

Myers said he simply wanted his students to know that he was “really serious.”

Daily Columnist Robert Zeis said in his Feb. 6 column that instructors who place undeserved pressures and outrageous requirements on students should be fired. Myers “has to be one of the most arrogant, self-centered teachers I have ever heard of here at this school,” Zeis wrote.

Zeis, senior in finance, said Tuesday that he will take the issue to the administration. “It’s not the content of the class that bothers me,” he said. “Its Myers’ arrogance that shocks me.”

Associate Professor of English Fern Kupfer disagreed. She said she found Myers’ syllabus to be “kind of fun and provocative.”

“I think if I were his student, I would feel challenged. I might want to give him a hard time,” she said.

Kupfer said she thinks it’s OK for a student to be occasionally offended during his or her time at a university.

Margaret Graham, director of first-year composition for the Department of English, wouldn’t answer questions about specific instructors, but she said syllabi must be approved by university officials.

Graham said there are no set rules for syllabi.

“Sometimes we are caught unaware of things that have to be dealt with, but sometimes we know about things and deal with them before they become public,” she said.

Gloria Betcher, assistant professor of English, said Myers’ syllabus “looks typical of a grad student who wants to make sure that all points were covered so students won’t hassle the instructor about requirements.”