Health, diversity among choices for upcoming UDA conference

Shuva Rahim

Diversity and health are a few topics students will have a chance to learn more about at the Union Drive Association Leadership Conference this weekend, said Jeff Strand, vice president of diversity and education for the Union Drive Association.

“The choice is yours” is the theme of the conference, which takes place Sunday. The conference will have three sessions with five to six speakers, Strand said.

The first session, from 1:15-2 p.m., kicks off with a keynote address by John Hatfield, a professor from the University of Nebraska.

The second session, from 2:15-3 p.m., will feature presentations from residence hall assistants and staff.

The final session, from 3:15-4 p.m., will have various campus leaders including Randy Alexander, director of the Department of Residence, and Milton McGriff, spokesman for The September 29th Movement.

Strand said the conference is important because it emphasizes aspects of leadership that students need to learn.

“People have [leadership] qualities within them,” he said. “People can talk about what the quality is and how it can be used.”

Strand said most of the speakers will talk about leadership, but there also will be sessions about how to handle stress, how to remain healthy with more sleep and less caffeine, life in the residence halls and how to deal with racism.

“We have a good diversity here. There’s a good selection of something to go to,” Strand said. “But some of the more popular and widely-looked at are racism, which will receive more attention.”

Strand said the different sessions are broad enough so you learn about something different in each one. He said he expects about 250 students to attend the conference.

Registration for the conference begins at noon at the West Dining Hall in Friley Hall and is free to all UDA students.