Dean MacKay calls for a ‘complete review’ of ISU’s judicial system

Holly Benton

A new Iowa State Student Information Handbook is in the works.

The current handbook was only intended for the 1993-95 academic years. It hasn’t been updated because of computer difficulties, university officials said.

Some of the wording in the handbook has fallen under scrutiny by members of The September 29 Movement sanctioned by the Office of Judicial Affairs for their parts in an unauthorized Nov. 5 rally in Beardshear Hall.

Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay is planning to revamp the section outlining the university’s judicial system. She said the section is confusing. “Judicial policy needs to be written generally,” she said.

MacKay, in her second year as dean, said several recent cases have shown a need for policy revision. “I think we need to do a complete review of the judicial system,” she said.

She didn’t offer specifics, but said a committee will be looking into possible revisions.

That’s good news for Movement members. Attorneys for The Movement said the handbook is contradictory to state and federal laws. MacKay agreed that some sections may not be in accordance with the law.

The handbook is published every two years. It outlines the policies and practices by which Iowa State students must abide. If they break those policies, students may be called before the judiciary system. The handbook covers areas ranging from a current academic calendar, to the school’s alcohol policy, to the judicial process.

MacKay said changing ISU policy is a team effort.

MacKay’s committee will consist of several faculty and staff members and students. Legal consultation is also necessary “because it is considered a legal handbook,” she said. The committee will be chaired by an assistant dean.

Parking Systems Coordinator for the Department of Public Safety, Doug Houghton, served on the last committee to revise the book. As a past assistant dean of students, he was chairman of the group. “We’ve traditionally conducted a full-blown review every five years,” he said.

When the committee met, members “analyzed the book from cover-to-cover. We looked at the judicial process, the Student Conduct Code, the rules and regulations,” Houghton said.

This will be MacKay’s first revision of the book. Therefore, she said she isn’t certain how the committee members will be chosen. “If there’s a protocol, and it looks good, then I’ll use the same thing,” she said.

When Houghton’s committee formed, he said a letter was sent to various student groups soliciting nominations for committee members. The dean of students and assistant dean decided on the final membership and size of the group, which included members of the All-University Judiciary and the Government of the Student Body.

He said the committee met once a week for much of the fall semester. Once a draft was prepared, it was sent to the dean of students for review. From there, it went to the vice president for student affairs, to the president and then to the state Board of Regents. The regents must sign off on revisions to university policies.

Houghton said the last group to revise the book “made some pretty significant changes.” For example, before the 1993-95 handbook, there was no Statement of Student Rights. His group wrote that section, which is a prominent part of the current book.

MacKay said revising the handbook is scheduled for “first thing” in the fall semester.

“My goal is to have [the revisions] done in September or October,” she said. The new book will go into effect beginning with the 1998-99 academic year.

MacKay said that while plans for the revisions are still in the beginning stages, if students have ideas for revisions, they should feel free to relay their thoughts to her.