New rates approved without options

Arianna Layton

Student representatives voted Monday night to recommend approval of the proposed residence system rates for next year, but did not approve any of the three proposed service additions for ethernet connections, voice mail or juice at all meals.

“This is democracy in action,” said Rob Wiese, president of Inter-Residence Hall Association.

The students were given the opportunity to vote on these matters and voiced their opinions, he said.

“I’m glad that IRHA let the vice presidents [of all the residence houses] vote on this matter,” said Matt Craft, Schaefer house vice president.

Students can expect a 3.96 percent base rate increase for room and board next year.

The proposed budget increase was approved 101-21 by student representatives.

Residence hall representatives spent an hour asking questions to telecommunication representatives about proposed voice mail and ethernet options.

If passed, the proposals would have provided every room with two ethernet connections and voice mail service.

Most of the questions focused on the ethernet option. The main concern was that the majority of students do not have a need for ethernet connections. About 1,500 students out of about 7,000 have connections in their rooms.

The proposal would reduce the costs of ethernet for those currently using it and was expected to result in an increased number of ethernet users.

“There are other things that students pay for that not everyone uses,” said Randy Alexander, director of Residence Halls.

Several students, however, voiced their opinion that voting to have ethernet connections in every room now would be a wise investment for the future.

“We can either be visionaries or we can be dumbasses,” said Richard Fuller, Meeker house vice president.

Although ethernet passed among IRHA representatives, 10-7, representatives of Richardson Court, Union Drive and Towers Residence Associations all voted it down by close margins. In UDA the vote was 21-18 and in RCA it was 24-18.

Voice mail and juice options failed by much larger margins.

“Most of the stuff will be revisited in future years,” said IRHA Vice President of Conferences Daren Heidgerken.