To go or not go to church on Sunday

Holly Benton

How many of you went to church this past Sunday? How many of you cared?

When I lived at home, going to church every weekend was as much a ritual of everyday life as barn chores and speech practice. I did the whole Growing-Up-Catholic routine: CCD on Thursday nights, singing in the Youth Choir at Christmas, even being a lector on weekends. When I came to school, though, and got my first taste of independence, I realized that it’s a lot harder to drag yourself out of bed on Sunday morning when Mom isn’t there harping on you to hurry up.

I believe a number of college students feel the same way — when you come to the big, exciting world of college, once-important things like religion tend to take a backseat to bigger “priorities,” like going to the basketball game on Saturday night, or sleeping off the hangover Sunday morning.

Part of the reason for students’ apathy toward church stems from years of having it forced upon them by well-meaning parents. How many times did you grudgingly go to Sunday service, only to keep looking at your watch, wondering how long this windbag of a preacher would keep rambling on, his every word keeping you further away from the sleep you valued?

Many teenagers (myself included) grew up considering going to church a necessary evil. It was so long and boring, but you had to go so Mom would let you have the car next weekend. We forgot the meanings of the prayers and songs, and simply went through the motions in a droning, monotone voice because it had been ingrained into our minds.

It was also ingrained into our minds that if you did not go to church, you’d go to Hell. Apparently, it didn’t matter if you wanted to go, or if you paid attention to the priest, or even if you stayed awake. You just had to go. Period.

I can at least say I tried to start off on the “right” foot last year. My friend and I went to Mass our very first Sunday in Ames, and had big plans to make it a habit.

The next Sunday, we slept in. And the next, and the next, until finally we’d forgotten our little pact. And you know what? We weren’t struck by lightning. We got along just fine. So, apparently our parents and the nuns and the Catechism teachers were wrong — you COULD live without mass.

Many church-skipping college students try to rationalize their absences. They were up late studying so they could pass that psych quiz so they could graduate so they could get a good job. Therefore, it’s OK that they slept through 9 a.m. service. Then again, many are just too lazy. I won’t lie, I’m in the latter group.

College years are a time of mental, emotional, and spiritual growth and development. College exposes many once-sheltered students to a variety of different beliefs and customs that may be entirely different from what they grew up with. These different perspectives often help students to mold their own, personal sets of beliefs and religious practices.

As Tim Schuman, Campus Director for the Campus Crusade for Christ said, students often may begin to doubt their original beliefs, and use the time to figure out just what exactly they DO believe. “I’d much rather see a student not go to church than go just to satisfy their parents and family,” he said, “because at least it shows that they’re thinking.”

Should it really matter that we aren’t sitting in a pew every Sunday? Does our lack of church make us terrible, Satanic demon children? I feel bad that I don’t go to Mass more often, but should I have to sing hymns and sit through a sermon to prove that I’m a good person?

If you think that the only good people in this world are the ones who go to Church every Sunday, week in and week out, you’re a narrow-minded fool. I know many good, kind people who live every day by the Bible, but don’t attend church. They know that there’s more to being a good Christian than just going to mass. If you try your hardest to do good deeds and live according to God’s will six and a half days of the week, then you won’t be damned for your absence on the morning of the seventh.

Going to Mass just for the sake of going is no better than not going at all. It’s like the Bible story of Jesus describing to his Apostles how the “hypocrites” pray:

“They love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men … when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” Matthew 6:5-6

In the same chapter, Jesus explains that it isn’t necessary to let everyone know that you’re doing good deeds, or fasting, or anything like that — as long as GOD knows, that’s all that’s important.

It’s not like people who skip church intentionally do it out of spite. I, for one, have never slept in on Sunday thinking, “Ha! Take that, God! I don’t want to go, and you can’t make me!” People who think like this ARE bad, and DO deserve to rot.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying church is a waste of time. On the contrary, I believe that it can be a very uplifting and worthwhile experience. The few times that I did make it to mass this past year, I left feeling refreshed and renewed. The difference is, I went when I wanted to go, not when my parents or society told me I HAD to go.

Sunday has always been known as “the day of rest,” and that’s what it should be. It should be a day for people to relax, reflect and better themselves mentally, emotionally and spiritually. If someone thinks that there are more effective ways to better themselves than by going to church, then to each his own.

Holly Benton is a sophomore in animal science from Early.